Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > Traces of the Frisco in Kansas.....

Date: 12/08/12 14:18
Traces of the Frisco in Kansas.....
Author: wyemarsh

When passing this Frisco overpass (located between Beaumount and Augusta, KS) I have admired the clean 'Frisco' lettering in the concrete of the old abutment (the word 'Lines' is on the opposite abutment wall but hidden by the trees and brush). This bridge once carried the Frisco trains over U.S. highway 54 in that Flint Hills location.
I believe this Frisco line ran from Springfield, MO. to Wichita, KS. and ended up in Ellsworth, KS. far short of its intended destination in Nebraska.

(2hd photo) Then down the right-of-way about a 100 yards or so is the newer U.S. highway 400 (also 54) overpass.

(3rd photo) Besides traces of the old Frisco roadbed under the U.S. highway 400 overpass, one can see the windmill farm in the far background of the Flint Hills.

......Vince in Valley Center

Date: 12/08/12 17:10
Re: Traces of the Frisco in Kansas.....
Author: coach

Rails to Trails, baby!

Date: 12/08/12 18:45
Author: Rathole

Just a couple of months ago I found the location where the Frisco once crossed the MoPac at grade near Fredrick, KS. Oh to be able to turn back the clock with a time machine! Neat photos, thanks for posting!

Date: 12/08/12 22:48
Author: RRSIGNGUY1

grab your moutain bike and do some ghost railroading....never know what you may find...

Date: 12/09/12 12:48
Author: qnyla

Those are hills? ;)

Very cool.

Date: 12/09/12 15:56
Author: 90mac

That's quite a nice bridge for a crappy little dirt road.
90mac

Date: 12/09/12 16:55
Author: Milw_E70

90mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's quite a nice bridge for a crappy little
> dirt road.
> 90mac

Huh?

That "crappy little dirt road" is the original US highway from way back when...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 16:56 by Milw_E70.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds