Home Open Account Help 142 users online

Nostalgia & History > mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150


Date: 12/10/12 05:27
mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: valmont

1. Can't get much cleaner than this ... RI F9Am #4150 (ex-UP 503), no info.

2. ... and in yellow, but not nearly as fresh, and still looking 'UP like'



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/12 05:45 by valmont.






Date: 12/10/12 06:45
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: YG

Nice plow on the front....

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com



Date: 12/10/12 07:59
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: PHall

YG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice plow on the front....
>
> Steve Mitchell
> http://www.yardgoatimages.com


Inherited from the UP.



Date: 12/10/12 08:02
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: tomstp

That red and yellow really was a nice paint scheme on those F's.

Just noticed the hand rails up to the doors have been modified to go up to the roof. UP obviously did it. Never noticed that before.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/12 08:04 by tomstp.



Date: 12/10/12 08:34
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: The_Chief_Way

weren't those plows off UP steam ? 2-8-2's?



Date: 12/10/12 08:51
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: spjim




Date: 12/10/12 09:35
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: ntharalson

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Can't get much cleaner than this ... RI F9Am
> #4150 (ex-UP 503), no info.
>
> 2. ... and in yellow, but not nearly as fresh, and
> still looking 'UP like'


Vince, the second image was taken first. Some Rock expert
can come up with the exact date of the repaint, and I would
say the top picture was taken within hours of it's release
from the shop.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA



Date: 12/10/12 09:44
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: valmont

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> valmont Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 1. Can't get much cleaner than this ... RI F9Am
> > #4150 (ex-UP 503), no info.
> >
> > 2. ... and in yellow, but not nearly as fresh,
> and
> > still looking 'UP like'
>
>
> Vince, the second image was taken first. Some
> Rock expert
> can come up with the exact date of the repaint,
> and I would
> say the top picture was taken within hours of it's
> release
> from the shop.
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA


Nick:

I didn't know that but I did think that the yellow didn't seem like UP yellow. Any idea when it got this paint and why?



Date: 12/10/12 11:05
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: ATSF3751

Masking tape over side windows? We don't need no stinkin' masking tape....



Date: 12/10/12 15:36
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: ClipX

First photo could've been shot by Paul Hunnell....



Date: 12/10/12 17:02
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: DTrainshooter




Date: 12/10/12 17:49
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: Milwaukee

Awesome shot in the new paint.

Notice the paint on the front coupler. Is that a rule violation today (then too?) or is it just the actual knuckle you can't paint?

Thanks for sharing. Too bad they did not last all that long.



Date: 12/10/12 18:24
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: lwilton

That coupler looks nearly decorative. Unless that plow is articulated the coupler only has about 5 degrees of swing either side of center.



Date: 12/10/12 18:52
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: fbe

Milwaukee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome shot in the new paint.
>
> Notice the paint on the front coupler. Is that a
> rule violation today (then too?) or is it just the
> actual knuckle you can't paint?
>
> Thanks for sharing. Too bad they did not last all
> that long.

The FRA does not disallow the painting of drawbars or knuckles. They do require the paint not be applied thick enough to cover any cracks or fissures. The railroads find it easier to leave the metal unpainted rather than dispute whether or not there are obscured cracks under the paint.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7



Date: 12/12/12 08:52
Re: mFile: wet paint? Rock F9Am #4150
Author: DavidP

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Nick:
>
> I didn't know that but I did think that the yellow
> didn't seem like UP yellow. Any idea when it got
> this paint and why?


If you look closely the nose and lower side panel appear to have been painted with the new yellow, while higher up on the side is still UP Armour Yellow. I suspect the yellow is a first coat and the red was applied over it, with the remaining yellow stripes having been masked when the red was sprayed on.

Dave



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1286 seconds