Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Nostalgia & History > C&O Clifton Forge Shops, Summer 1979

Date: 12/11/12 12:02
C&O Clifton Forge Shops, Summer 1979
Author: aehouse

The Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society's 1979 conventioneers paid a visit to the C&O's engine shops in Clifton Forge, Va. We were essentially given the run of the place, and even provided hard hats to comply with safety regulations.

The shops were then in the business of maintaining C&O's fleet of GE locomotives, but some old EMD GP-7s and GP-9s were also in attendance.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 12/11/12 12:48
Re: C&O Clifton Forge Shops, Summer 1979
Author: CShaveRR

That was one I had to miss, unfortunately. We'd just moved into a new house (still living here!), and had a toddler (who now has three kids of her own well past the toddler stage).

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 12/11/12 13:02
Author: bradleymckay

Two things that DON'T go well together: shorts and a hardhat!

Thanks for posting this photo!

Allen

Date: 12/11/12 13:09
Author: imrl

And those are some short shorts!

Date: 12/11/12 13:18
Author: spdaylight

You think the blue shorts are funny . . . remember wearing that length (or shorter) shorts with long white socks with wide coloured bands on the top of the socks . . . . and we thought that was really cool!

Date: 12/11/12 14:09
Author: ddg

That guy in the shorts, is that Lt. Dangle from Reno 911?

Date: 12/11/12 17:24
Author: Krokodil

Love the head on shot of the turntable, at first glance it looks like the engines are between the rails.

ThomasE

Date: 12/11/12 17:34
Author: mopacrr

It never ceases to amaze me how fans can wear the most inappropriate clothing to events like touring a yard or shop. I can't begin to count all the times I have been on tours with people wearing shorts or track shoes to tour yards or shops. Even on fan tips at run by's people are wearing shorts or tennis shoes. If they only knew of all the things that could bite them, scratch them, mutilate them; they would would have work boots and long pants on in a minute.

Date: 12/11/12 18:34
Author: ns2557

What I find interesting about the photo's is all the C&O U25B's there. Man, what I would give to revisit them days. Never actually saw a C&O U25B, but got to see SLSF, CR, EL, PC, PRR, NYC, SP ones while growing up in the HBG/Enola/Rutherford Pa area. Sure do miss them Uboats. Ben

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds