Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Nostalgia & History > C&O and Cajon

Date: 12/11/12 19:19
C&O and Cajon
Author: RplusLJetService

Notice how the blue and yellow is almost the same as Santa Fe's colors. This was one of Cajon's famous cab-hops back in 1979.

Adam

Date: 12/12/12 03:01
Re: C&O and Cajon
Author: Steamjocky

Is that a GP-20 on the point?

JDE

Date: 12/12/12 05:01
Author: tacobell

Yes, thats a GP20. I remember the Chessie/B&O/C&O units on the Santa Fe like it was just yesterday!

Date: 12/12/12 05:53
Author: 3rdswitch

Looks like a solid GP cab hop, great catch.
JB

Date: 12/12/12 07:15
Author: CShaveRR

That Chessie-painted GP40-2 was renumbered for its service on Santa Fe. Looks like 9154, actually B&O 4154.

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 12/12/12 09:48
Author: pass2000

Absolutely beautiful!

Date: 12/12/12 10:17
Author: TedS-P

Excuse my ignorance, I mean this as an honest question. I've seen the term "cab hop" used every now and then to describe what to me looks like a lite power move with a caboose at the end. Is the term cab hop in reference to repositioning the caboose, or is it an old school way of referring to a lite power move?

Thanks, Ted S-P

Date: 12/12/12 15:18
Author: CShaveRR

Caboose hop...power plus caboose(s).

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 12/13/12 14:20
Author: Evan_Werkema

RplusLJetService Wrote:

> Notice how the blue and yellow is almost the same
> as Santa Fe's colors.

...but yellow ends and a pinstripe are a definite plus. ;^)

Back when cabooses were still around, were there circumstances where the rules required a caboose on a light engine move, and others where they did not? I've seen photos of steam locomotives running light both with and without.

Date: 12/16/12 05:57
Author: hwb36604

What a great picture!

Date: 12/16/12 08:42
Author: WichitaJct

Didn't I see that image for sale on Ebay in slide format in the very recent past?

Date: 12/16/12 21:55
Author: lwilton

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back when cabooses were still around, were there
> circumstances where the rules required a caboose
> on a light engine move, and others where they did
> not? I've seen photos of steam locomotives
> running light both with and without.

I'm guessing that it may have depended on what you were doing, and might not have been as formal as rules, at least in all circumstances.

- Helpers could to back to the starting point without a caboose
- An engine on a local could uncouple and leave the hack on the mainline while working industry
- In the steam days, an engine could leave the train and go several miles for water or coal

On the other hand, all of those but the helpers started as a train with a caboose, and broke up into components out on the road. This makes me wonder if helper engines had to leave the yard and go to some initial station to wait to give help, whether a caboose would have been required for this intial move? There wouldn't be much sense to that, but I can easily imagine some union agreement requiring it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds