Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Nostalgia & History > Alhambra-before the trench

Date: 12/12/12 18:58
Alhambra-before the trench
Author: lamta_jay

I haven't seen too many pictures of the SP line through Alhambra before the trench was dug so I thought I would share the pictures I took in 1977 and 1978. My ex-wife's grandmother lived on Front Street just east of Atlantic and that's where these were taken.

The first and second pictures were taken in March of 1977. You can see the project to lower the tracks has begun.

The third same location and now they have put up a fence. April 1977

Continued

Date: 12/12/12 19:01
Re: Alhambra-before the trench
Author: lamta_jay

The forth picture was taken in September of 1978 and you can see the trench to the left

The fifth picture also taken the same day with an eastbound Manifest crossing Atlantic. 9/1978

Thanks for looking

Jay

Date: 12/13/12 00:19
Author: DNRY122

Thanks for the photos--I started working at the Edison facility just up the street in May 1978, but didn't get down to the SP tracks to do much "sidewalk superintendent" observation.

Date: 12/13/12 08:16
Author: ButteStBrakeman

Great photos, Jay! I transferred to San Luis Obispo in November of 1976. I didn't realize that the Alhambra trench had started that soon after I left LA. I was working the LA-WC pool for the last 6 months before I left LA and these photos sure brought back some memories of that areafrom the Alhambra depot to New Ave(at least I think that is where it ended?). Thanks for sharing these, and all of the others you have posted, and especially the ones on the old PE property.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 12/14/12 00:22
Author: GP25

Does anyone have any photos of the Alhambra SP Depot. right before the Trench?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds