Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Nostalgia & History > GM&O's Last Passenger Train

Date: 12/13/12 22:16
GM&O's Last Passenger Train
Author: Q4960

Some time after the GM&O - IC merger locomotives and other equipment could still be found painted and lettered for their original roads. Here is boiler equipped F3 #880B and three coaches near Corwith, Illinois on the GM&O's lone suburban train that ran between Chicago and Joliet. The train and cars stayed painted and lettered as such for some time.

GM&O F3's were often used in regular passenger service as well as suburban.

Roger Holmes

Date: 12/14/12 05:27
Re: GM&O's Last Passenger Train
Author: Bob3985

Great photo. Thanks for the memories as my dad road "The Plug", as they affectionately called it, from Lockport into Chicago and back daily. He told me that the conductor on that job had a second job in Chiccago during his long layover in the city. He was a bartender at the Palmer House Hotel.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/14/12 08:43
Author: cabinman

I rode it in 1975.....there was one stop where they slowed way down and a businessman got off while it was still moving.. I remember his necktie flailing around his neck as he made a 3 point step-off backwards like a trainman would...possibly he was a railroad employee...and then the train accelerated to the next stop.

I have told others this story and I am seldom believed..

Keith Turley
The Original Whistle Stop
Pasadena, California

Date: 12/14/12 11:23
Author: mopacrr

I have told new employees we used to make rolling crew changes, and they look at me in disbelief.

Date: 12/14/12 11:43
Author: ctjacks

Note that it appears in this picture the conductor just let a family off the train right on the ballast, and let them cross over a main and a siding. Times have changed.

Date: 12/14/12 16:02
Author: CN_Hogger

There's a lot less tracks there now... great pic and thanks for sharing. I really enjoy seeing historic shots of my current territory!

CN_Hogger

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0275 seconds