Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > March 28, 2002 BNSF Harbor Subdivision

Date: 12/17/12 23:30
March 28, 2002 BNSF Harbor Subdivision
Author: CimaScrambler

March 28, 2002 was a beautiful day to be out with a camera. I did my usual thing that day and took my lunch and my rig to the top floor of the parking structure at work, where I could sit in the sun and monitor the radio traffic between the DS and crews. Near the end of my lunch break BNSF 4717 West got a track warrant from MP 10 near Inglewood to Alcoa. This was just the sort of thing I was waiting for, so I stowed the lunch, started the rig, and drove out of the parking structure and about a dozen blocks across town to Imperial Highway and had just enough time to set up for this shot. Yup, a beautiful day to be out with a camera.

Seventeen days later the last through train ran on the Harbor Sub.

I shared this image ten years ago, but this is a much better rendering from a clean scan with careful processing. Nothing like Kodachrome for nice bright colors.

Be safe out there -

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 12/17/12 23:36
Re: March 28, 2002 BNSF Harbor Subdivision
Author: oilcan

That's a neat shot, and nearly all Warbonnet to boot. What's that blue unit buried near the end of the consist?

Date: 12/18/12 06:56
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice look back at better times Kit. Probably a CR unit.
JB

Date: 12/18/12 11:37
Author: CimaScrambler

I think that blue unit was a rebuilt SD40-2 that was used down on Terminal Island for a while. JB posted a photo of it down there somewhere around the 2003 timeframe. I know I saved a copy of the photo on my home computer. If JB doesn't mind, I'll post it on this thread.

Kit

edit: Here is a post from JB that has what I think may be the same unit. But I'll still try to find the photo I had in mind when I get home
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,776630,776630#776630

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 11:54 by CimaScrambler.

Date: 12/20/12 19:21
Author: Gonut1

Nah! Probably a Conrail unit doing all the work.
gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds