Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Nostalgia & History > Signal Sunday: Ridgeton, KS

Date: 01/27/13 08:43
Signal Sunday: Ridgeton, KS
Author: santafe199

Over the past two weeks for Toto Tuesday I posted a 2-part thread about the last time I ever chased the Santa Fe as a pure & single corporate entity. Here's another shot from that day in 1987. It shows the classic searchlight signals guarding the crossover plant at Ridgeton, KS. Ridgeton is just a timetable location name for this key set of crossovers at the west end of the grade separation between Ridgeton & Melvern, KS. For the shot I'm standing in the "V" where the 2 mains split. The reason the signal aspects are hard to see is because they are both pointed away down their respective tracks for better train crew visibility.

These searchlight signals are long gone. In their place are the current stainless steel "erector set" signals. There are still searchlights to be found on the old Santa Fe, but they are disappearing FAST....

1. This is the scene looking west while AT&SF 9507 is way in the background EB at Ridgeton, KS with an Argentine-bound manifest on the afternoon of May 8, 1987.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/22 00:44 by santafe199.

Date: 01/28/13 08:52
Re: Signal Sunday: Ridgeton, KS
Author: ntharalson

And lined for a westbound. Nice shot, Lance, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds