Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Nostalgia & History > Train Order Tues. – SP Santa Paula Branch 50 Years Ago

Date: 04/09/13 06:16
Train Order Tues. – SP Santa Paula Branch 50 Years Ago
Author: terrybaker

The Fillmore & Western article in the May 2013 TRAINS reminded me of a fan trip operated over the length of the Santa Paula Branch by Golden West Rail Tours on March 3, 1963; the full itinerary was L.A.-Saugus-Ventura (Santa Paula Branch)-L.A. (Coast Line). It was rescheduled from a February 17th date due to tunnel 27 being closed (don’t recall the circumstances) and subsequent repairs to same. I really don’t remember much of the trip itself but was fortunate enough to acquire a full set of train orders; hopefully someone on this board has some pictures they can post. Regarding the following posted orders and clearances, see if you can spot the two errors of omission (never mind strike-overs), which apparently did not prevent them from being accepted by the operating crew:

1) SP information sheet showing consist (but not the power) and excursion details. It’s a little hard to read, but I don’t think these old stencil copies were ever intended to hold up this long.
2) Clearance, Los Angeles addressed to the Extra 6220 West. Passenger F7 6220 was the lead unit for the entire trip, and SP retired it before the end of the year.
3) T.O. No. 525, Los Angeles – authority for eng 6220 to run extra Los Angeles to Saugus.

Date: 04/09/13 06:19
Re: Train Order Tues. – SP Santa Paula Branch 50 Years

4) T.O. No. 531, Burbank Jct.
5) Clearance, Saugus with Order No. 20.
6) T.O. No. 20, Saugus – authority for our train to run extra Saugus to Ventura.

Date: 04/09/13 06:21

7) thru 9) Clearance and orders 32 & 33 from Santa Paula allowing our train to enter the Coast Line Main.

Date: 04/09/13 06:23

10) T.O. No. 37, Ventura - authority for eng 6220 to run extra Ventura to Los Angeles.
11) T.O. No. 880, Ventura – tunnel 27 instructions.
12) Santa Paula Branch bonus T.O. No. 54 dtd 7/30/75, Saugus – authority for eng 3772 (the Saugus Local?) to run extra Saugus to Newhall Ranch and return.

Date: 04/09/13 08:02
Author: Zephyr

Wow! This brings back many memories. I was on this trip, but, alas, have no pictures that I can find. I remember riding the Santa Paula Branch in the "Photo/Baggage" Car and wandering around the Ventura County Fairgrounds all at the young age of 14!

As a former Train Order operator and dispatcher, I can't believe the errors on the orders and clearance forms! No station name at Los Angeles and no year at Santa Paula. SPRR officials could have had a "field" day with these orders/clearances! I'm also amused at the insertion of the word "signal" in one of the Ventura orders.

The Burbank Jct. order was typed by one of the greatest train order operators on the SPRR, Ray Buckley, who trained me and many other operators at Burbank Jct. I remember Ray's famous words when I used to "sweat" typing up the orders and getting them hung at Burbank: "Now, son, don't you worry, every one of those wheels has a brake on them!"

Yes, I believe you are correct. The order for the engine to operate Saugus to Newhall Ranch and return was usually for the Saugus Local which switched the extreme east end of the Santa Paula Branch.

Thanks for sharing this set of orders and the memories of this trip!

Pete Baumhefner

Date: 04/09/13 08:37
Author: WAF

Believe T 27 closure was a fire

Date: 04/09/13 08:45

Zephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> As a former Train Order operator and dispatcher, I
> can't believe the errors on the orders and
> clearance forms! No station name at Los Angeles
> and no year at Santa Paula. SPRR officials could
> have had a "field" day with these
> orders/clearances! I'm also amused at the
> insertion of the word "signal" in one of the
> Ventura orders.
>
=====================================================
I can tell you for a fact that the crews on the NWP would have never knowingly accepted clearances and orders with these errors. Maybe with the wrong locomotive number (those sets of SD9's at Willits all looked the same), but that's another story.

Date: 04/09/13 09:00

Zephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The Burbank Jct. order was typed by one of the
> greatest train order operators on the SPRR, Ray
> Buckley, who trained me and many other operators
> at Burbank Jct. I remember Ray's famous words
> when I used to "sweat" typing up the orders and
> getting them hung at Burbank: "Now, son, don't
> you worry, every one of those wheels has a brake
> on them!"
==================================================
Maybe you copied this order during those training days...it was retrieved from a caboose in Eureka. Just goes to prove that we did and still do live in a small world. Also proves some cabooses didn't get cleaned too often.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/13 13:03 by terrybaker.

Date: 04/09/13 09:50
Author: Zephyr

Amazing! Yes, that was and still is me! I had just gone full time on the SPRR after graduating from UCLA. Worked as a train order operator summers of 1967-1970 to put myself through school hoping to be an English teacher. Teaching positions at that time were a "dime a dozen" so stayed with SPRR full time. My career on SPRR lasted until 1985. Met many wonderful people, some of whom I'm still in contact with here on "TO". Yes, indeed, it is a very small world!

Thanks for sharing the train orders!

Pete

Date: 04/09/13 22:47
Author: wpdude

That's beyond amazing! It's not a small world. I'm thinking "Horton hears a who" kinda small! :-)

Date: 04/10/13 10:10
Author: DocJones

Boy, those train orders and clearances would get you days off for sure if you delivered them that way. I bulled my share of orders but always re-copied them "after the fact" before handing them up. No one was the wiser, right Pete? Thanks for the great memories of the people I worked with on my short but very sweet career on the SP.

Have fun, be safe,
Bruce "Doc" Jones Sierra Madre CA

Date: 04/10/13 13:52
Author: SilverPeakRail

I knew the operator at Ventura. E. Richard "Dick" Molina was the last agent at Ventura when it closed. I spent many a weekend day at his depot, and some time in the office when he was typing orders off the wire circa 1970. Nice to see some of his work was preserved.

Brad Black

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1382 seconds