Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Nostalgia & History > Does anyone recognize this locomotive?

Date: 05/24/13 16:12
Does anyone recognize this locomotive?
Author: poffcapt

Does this locomotive look familiar to anyone? The photo is on a post card, using Kodak photo paper, so that puts the card after 1950, but it could be a reprint. However, the clothing of the people standing around kind of looks like the 1950s or 60s, I think. I can't quite make out the letters on the side of the tender. Any help identifying the scene would be greatly appreciated.

Date: 05/24/13 17:47
Re: Does anyone recognize this locomotive?
Author: BillMarvel

Judging from those domes, one of those Russian decapods that never made it to the Soviet Union. That motley assortment of passenger equipment is a mystery, though.

Date: 05/24/13 18:46
Author: nhiwwrr

This is the Marquette and Huron Mountain Railroad operation in Michigan. Former Lake Superior and Ishpeming #19, a 2-8-0. In later years, it spent time on display at the Grand Canyon Railway. Its sisters survive in various locations and statuses: #18, formerly operated on the Grand Canyon and is now in operation on the Rio Grand Scenic Railway. #22 is at the Mid-Continent Railway Museum and also #23 is in New York State on the property of the Catskill Mountain Railroad (Empire State Railway Museum)

A bigger sister is , #29 is still on the Grand Canyon RR, and two of the biggest of the LS&I Consolidations are in operable condition with one being on the Western Maryland Railway as 734 (former LS&I #34) and Jerry Jacobson has the former LS&I #33, former on the Ohio Central. I believe #35 is at Greenbay?

Date: 05/24/13 19:52
Author: poffcapt

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.025 seconds