Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Nostalgia & History > Silver Channel in Mira Loma

Date: 06/26/13 18:52
Silver Channel in Mira Loma
Author: edsaalig

The Silver Channel was at Mira Loma on July of 1975. From 1972 until 1976, I reported for the CTC Board and would visit the train yard at Mira Loma at least once a week. In those days you could freely walk around and sometimes inside the cars that were in the yard with no one telling you to leave. In those days I would be lucky to have any kind of film in my old 35mm. As you have noticed by now the photos are not the greatest. Does anyone know where the Silver Channel is today?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/13 22:44 by edsaalig.

Date: 06/26/13 19:48
Re: Silver Channel
Author: BuddPullman

Unfortunately, I don't know about Silver Channel.

I took a series of photographs (prints) in October of 1984 prior to an Amtrak auction of Silver Terrain (DZ 10-6), Silver Boulder (DZ 10-6) and Silver Dove (CZ 6-5) in Buffalo NY. Silver Terrain still had her full skirts but had sustained vandalism by fire in the center of the car in the bedroom area. Silver Terrain and Silver Dove I would suspect were scrapped based on fire damage.

Date: 06/26/13 20:24
Author: EmpireBuilder

Last I knew, the Silver Channel was owned by either Ben Butterworth personally or by Mid America Railcar Leasing. It used to be stored at Gateway in Madison IL.

Sadly, the Silver Dove was also scrapped. I ended up with the fluting off of it.

Date: 06/26/13 20:38
Author: davew833

Couldn't find any recent info about Silver Channel.

(These Zephyr sleepers sure look naked without their skirts!)

Date: 06/26/13 21:32
Author: CrudPunko

Wasn't the lae Dick Stephenson the CTC Board Amtrak editor back in 1975?

Date: 06/26/13 22:17
Author: Carondelet

CB&Q Center Bedroom 10&6 Silver Channel and Silver Basin are both owned by Mid America Railcar Leasing, and currently stored at Gateway Rail Services in Madison, IL.

Date: 06/26/13 22:23
Author: Topfuel

I believe the Channel is one of the DZ 10-6's that lost it's skirts somewhere along the way. A few Q cars were de-skirted during the short BN era, but these photos indicate that the S. Channel lost them for some reason in the mid-'70's.

Date: 06/27/13 07:01
Author: Christo

Silver Channel is also at Gateway Rail Services and listed for $35K.

http://www.gatewayrailservices.com/inventory/inventory01f1.html

Date: 06/27/13 17:44
Author: PossumBellyCaboose

I have not thought about nor heard anything about Dick Stephenson for over 25 years. A fine railroad researcher when not carrying out his full time duties in the court clerk's office in Los Angeles. RIP Richard.

Nick Roberts
Possum Belly Caboose

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds