Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Nostalgia & History > Oregon California and Eastern ownership question

Date: 10/23/13 19:10
Oregon California and Eastern ownership question
Author: haneckow

In the 1920s, the Oregon California and Eastern out of Klamath Falls was purchased 50/50 by the Southern Pacific and Great Northern. It was agreed that each company would operate the railroad alternating every five years (originally every other year). Thus GN style station signs next to SP style concrete phone booths. Does anyone know which parent company operated the line for which years? I believe the SP was the last operator before Weyerhaeuser took over in 1975.

Date: 10/23/13 22:06
Re: Oregon California and Eastern ownership question
Author: GN599

Not exactly, but if you go on the premise that the SP was running it at the end and do some math you could probably come close. Also at the beginning of joint ownership they changed every year and I don't know how long that went on either so there's another variable. Based on paperwork I have on file and photographs, books etc the SP was only on its 2nd year of their "turn" when the purchase of the line was made by Weyerhaeuser on Jan 1st 1975. So that would mean the GN/BN ran it from 68-72 which jives with other info I have obtained. Thus that would put the SP in operation of the line from 62-67. Also the GN bought SD9's 598-599 specifically for operation on the OC&E as they were the only GN SD9's equipped with dynamic brakes. Coming off West Switchback down into Squaw Flat the grade was 2.2% with the loads pushing you. They were built in May of 58 so that could put the GN operating the OC&E from 57-61. AnywayI make no claim to this all being exact but I believe it's pretty close. I have worked with quite a few old heads here in K Falls at BNSF that got to work the line in their younger days. They say they made a lot of money, lots of 16 hr days going to Bly and back. The line was pretty busy then and with the max train length only 52 cars at the time it took a while to get over the road because there was always a couple trains each way. The only siding long enough for a "real" train was Sprague River so one can imagine the OC&E being a pretty lively little railroad!

Date: 10/23/13 22:32
Re: Oregon California and Eastern ownership question
Author: rob_l

Alternating 5-year intervals is correct.

Best regards,

Rob L.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds