Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > Movie Ranch help needed

Date: 03/12/14 11:06
Movie Ranch help needed
Author: bilevel400

Greetings list;

During the late 1970's Mr. Frank Vacek (the owner of the famous Franks Cameras on Figueroa Street in L.A.), purchased around 12 former Amtrak cars for use on a "Movie Ranch" located in the Newhall, CA. area. Have any list members any roster information, as well as location, use, and disposition of these cars. I understand they were still up in the hills in that area as late as 2009. Can anyone verify? Where is this place located, is it still in use as a movie shoot location? The three cars in my previous thread regarding the cars at "Highland Station" off the Redlands branch were part of his original collection, that more than likely were deemed excess and sold off before movement to Newhall, CA. Can anyone verify? Those three cars have now been positively ID'ed as former Amtrak 6801-7002(1)-7252, through my own research if anyone else was interested. Thanks in advance for any information on this Movie Ranch collection!
400Phil

Date: 03/12/14 13:40
Re: Movie Ranch help needed
Author: crackerjackhoghead

It's been a few years since I was by there but there was a collection of Amtrak cars off of Sand Canyon Rd. just south of the intersection with Placerita Canyon Rd.

Date: 03/12/14 13:55
Author: trainjunkie

Date: 03/12/14 22:44
Author: DNRY122

One wonders about how the cars were moved there. Was there at one time a spur of the former SP line? Were the cars moved with special low-bed rigs? The latter option would not have been cheap--they are about three miles from the "live" railroad.

Date: 03/14/14 07:43
Author: dan

a couple dining cars there

Date: 03/14/14 08:39
Author: atsf2333

On the satellite map, how about the set for the TV show "Wipe Out" next door? (blue shapes to the left) Zoom in to see the set at a different time--more in production mode.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0318 seconds