Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > History of a clock

Date: 04/21/14 13:42
History of a clock
Author: CSXT8888

Hi

Easter dinner at my Mother's house brought about a conversion about this clock. It's been in my Mother's dining room since the late 1960's. She doesn't remember where my Father found it. The face has "The Standard Electric Time Co." Springfield , Mass and a PRR keystone. Can anyone give me any history on these clocks or were they sold as a novelty.

Jeff

Date: 04/21/14 14:30
Re: History of a clock
Author: LarryDoyle

It's unlikely railroad clock would have roman numerals.

Date: 04/21/14 15:59
Author: wp1801

I once thought that railroad clocks wouldn't have roman numerals but then saw an SP clock that did.

Date: 04/21/14 16:19
Author: ddg

I have a long case Seth Thomas 30 day clock with Roman Numerals. I bought it from the Santa Fe Time Service Department in the Topeka G.O.B. in 1969. The receipt says it was in the Law Department in Chicago for most of it's career, retired sent to Topeka, refurbished & sold to me. I took it in a few years later for some minor work, and they told me it was one of the only ones that did not have the Std. Montgomery style face.

Date: 04/21/14 21:17
Author: MartyBernard

Let's see the back side. Looks like it is made out of two different kinds of wood.

Marty Bernard

Date: 04/28/14 08:19
Author: mkostecky

LarryDoyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's unlikely railroad clock would have roman
> numerals.

My guess is that only official clocks used to time train movement-- ie)clocks that trainmen, dispatchers or tower operators would use.-- would be regular numbers. Clocks used in railway passenger terminal waiting rooms or anywhere clocks are NOT officially used to time trains could have any style numbers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds