Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Fun with locations (pt #2)

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/23/14 07:50
WAG Wednesday: Fun with locations (pt #2)
Author: santafe199

Here are the final 8 miscellaneous location images from Art’s collection taken by Mr Lee Clerico. No information was to be had from the 8x10 prints, other than photographer credit. Take a look, maybe you’ll recognize something. If not, have fun looking back several decades…

1. & 2. Different views in the same town.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/14 08:12 by santafe199.

Date: 04/23/14 07:51
Re: WAG Wednesday: Fun with locations (vol #2)

3. Wide open prairie, somewhere…

4. Passenger cars on the left might be a clue.

Date: 04/23/14 07:52

5. Am I getting a Kansas City Stockyards feeling here?

6. Is that a crossing tower back there by the semaphores?

Date: 04/23/14 07:53

7. That city building spire on the left might be a clue.

8. Nimrod! (Kansas?) And all these years I thought Nimrod was just a derogatory name you tagged someone with as in: “Hey, you Nimrod! Didn’t cha know that was the name of a place?” ;^)
(8 photos by Mr. Lee Clerico from the Art Gibson collection)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/22 23:00 by santafe199.

Date: 04/23/14 08:00
Author: ntharalson

I'm wondering if #4 isn't Newton?? That's just a wild guess on my part.
And in #6, that looks like an interlocking tower in the background, possibly
of Santa Fe origin. Beyond this very superficial guesses, I have no clue.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/23/14 08:43
Author: waycar_rider

I think #4 is La Junta, CO.

Gary A. Rich
Aurora, CO

Date: 04/23/14 09:16

#8-There was a Nimrod, MO. It was two miles east of Hardin. This should have been double track territory. I am thinking that it rules out that this is Missouri.

There was a Nimrod, OK. It started in 1887. 1889 the name was changed to Heman, OK.

Now we are back where we started from?????

Gary A. Rich
Aurora, CO

Date: 04/23/14 09:20
Author: PRose

Photo 8. The only Nimrod in official Guides (1960 and 1968) is in Flathead County Montana. Nimrod shows on the Great Northern Main Line between Shelby and Whitefish, MT. It also shows on a Northern Pacific Line in Missoula County Montana but, not shown in the timetable.
The background could very well be Montana.

Bob H.
PRose

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/14 09:22 by PRose.

Date: 04/23/14 09:26
Re: WAG Wednesday: Fun with locations (pt #2)

#2 You have to look closely. You can see some kind of a passenger car just beyond the wood side gond. It isn't in image #1.

I thought that building behind was a depot. But, I think that it could have been a gas station and café!!!!!

What ever town it is, they had Yellow Cab. I would not be a small town. Other wise, no clue.

Gary A. Rich
Aurora, CO

Date: 04/23/14 09:29
Author: alco636

#3 reminds me of Scott City, KS. MP on the left, ATSF on the right.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 04/23/14 09:31
Author: rrman6

Lance, as usual, another great collection of the past here and thanks for posting.

In pic #2, above the crossing sign, am I seeing a washed-out view of a concrete grain facility in the background above the sign? If so, I'm guessing this to be a major grain terminal or flour mill type city, e.g., Emporia, Newton, etc. Nice to know that above the car nearest the crossing sign they were beginning to use air raid siren's combined with cell towers. Ha, Ha!!! Wherever it was, Yellow Cab was present so I'm thinking a larger city.

In pic #7 I can't tell if that's a city building or a church with the spire. Is the black bag to the right of the tracks near the crossing a trainman's grip or do you suppose that belonged to the photographer for his equipment? I don't see any telegraph line near the tracks, but assume those on the left in the air lead belong to the RR and lead to a nearby depot.

Pic #8, I wonder if the photographer isn't laughing today at us "NIMROD's" for looking at this classic AT&SF branch-line depot that maybe existed prior to a later larger one.

Again thanks much for the "great memories" of tougher times!

Date: 04/23/14 09:37

#7-Has any one seen the grip sitting on the right side of the tracks? At first, I thought that this could be between Topeka and Emporia on the Santa Fe. However prose may be correct about Montana. This looks some what like Montana.

Okay Lance, you live back there. Does it look like a station between Topeka and Emporia?

Gary A. Rich
Aurora, CO

Date: 04/23/14 09:59
Author: 1019X

waycar_rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #2 You have to look closely. You can see some kind
> of a passenger car just beyond the wood side gond.
> It isn't in image #1.
>

That passenger car is either a streetcar or an interurban car. Look at the left end of the car and you can also make out a trolley pole, looks like it was heading to the right in the picture.

Charlie

Date: 04/23/14 10:43

WOW! A blizzard of guesses & possibilities... I'll respond to them in order (kinda):

ntharalson wrote: And in #6, that looks like an interlocking tower in the background…
My caption for #6 says virtually the same thing…

waycar_rider wrote: I think #4 is La Junta, CO.
Not that you mention it…

waycar_rider & PRose wrote: #8-There was a Nimrod, MO. There was a Nimrod, OK. Nimrod shows … between Shelby and Whitefish, MT. [Nimrod] also shows … in Missoula County. The background could very well be Montana.

NOT!!! From 1987-1991 I worked through the Nimrod in Montana which has very definite foothills cradling the RR, the river and I-90/US 12.

(waycar_rider): Now we are back where we started from?????
(LMAO!) It would seem to appear that we NEVER GOT STARTED… ;^)

rrman6 wrote: Pic #8, I wonder if the photographer isn't laughing today at us "NIMROD's"
I would be sorely disappointed if he wasn’t… ;^)

rrman6 wrote (Pic #7): Is the black bag to the right… do you suppose that belonged to the photographer?
waycar_rider wrote (Pic #7):Has any one seen the grip sitting on the right side of the tracks? Okay Lance, you live back there. Does it look like a station between Topeka and Emporia?

(my inclination) Wakarusa???

Thanks for playing! I'm sure there will be more replies from the TO people still at work. This pt. #2 of "Fun with locations" seems to be an early huge hit, compared to pt. #1 in WAG a couple of weeks ago...

Lance (aka Nimrod #1... ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/14 10:45 by santafe199.

Date: 04/23/14 12:48
Author: 41

Nimrod, MO, on the ATSF, milepost 400.9 between Carrollton (sp) and Henrietta.

from December 1934 OGR

Date: 04/23/14 13:10
Author: K3HX

Regarding "Nimrod" as a derogatory term.

Seems this is a custom only in the US. Nimrod refers to the
great grandson of Noah and is described as "a mighty hunter."

The Brits named a submarine hunting maritime patrol aircraft "Nimrod."

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 04/23/14 15:06
Author: march_hare

PRose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo 8. The only Nimrod in official Guides (1960
> and 1968) is in Flathead County Montana. Nimrod
> shows on the Great Northern Main Line between
> Shelby and Whitefish, MT. It also shows on a
> Northern Pacific Line in Missoula County Montana
> but, not shown in the timetable.
> The background could very well be Montana.
>
> Bob H.
> PRose

Nimrod was still used as a place name on the NP in BN days. Population 0. I forget if the siding still existed when I was there in the early 80s, but the name was in widespread use. I have slides in my collection labelled Nimrod.

Not exactly the same terrain shown in these photos, though.

Date: 04/23/14 15:14
Author: monaddave

santafe199 Wrote:
<< NOT!!! From 1987-1991 I worked through the Nimrod
> in Montana which has very definite foothills
> cradling the RR, the river and I-90/US 12.>>

There was indeed two Nimrods in Montana, one on the NP which still a siding on MRL's Third Sub and one on the GN, which became Java, east of Essex. But the Nimrod photo posted above wouldn't be in those locations in Montana, as Lance pointed out, as there would have to be a few more mountains.
Dave in Msla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/14 15:20 by monaddave.

Date: 04/23/14 15:42
Author: SD45X

I'm with Gary on #4 being Lajunta. You can even see the roof of the big depot.
Cool history!!

Date: 04/23/14 18:54
Author: wister6813

According to the USGS Geographic Names Information System the name Nimrod was associated with Barnard, KS. The USGS references a book of Kansas Post Office names by Baughman, Robert W., but doesn't provide additional information.

Barnard was the terminus of the ATSF's Barnard Branch. Is the style of sign consistent with the ATSF? I do not know the area, but the topographic map suggest the terrain is flat to the southeast.

The USGS also has place names in MN, MT, OR, and two in TX. MT has been dismissed by others. The rest do not seem to fit the area shown in the photo.

Bob

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0892 seconds