Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Nostalgia & History > Fulfilling A Story and Some Outta Place WP Units

Date: 07/21/14 21:53
Fulfilling A Story and Some Outta Place WP Units
Author: BNSF-6432

Wasn't really planning on posting anything this evening as I was scrolling though some more of my father's images till I came across a set that I had to stop and reflect on for a minute. One of the many stories he told multiple times (making it easier and easier to imagine) was about a northbound local in Oklahoma that was showing as a quartet of Western Pacific GP40's on the line-up. Being one that knew just about everybody on the Missouri Pacific, my dad was talking to a fellow engineer by the name of Lester (who also had to look twice when he saw the line-up) when he was notified of this set. Knowing this, he got outta town to be in position to chase on the MOP. The year was 1984 and UP had already taken over the MOP for 2 years, and the WP for 1 year, being the reason why this set had showed up as WP stuff was showing up all over the system. However a set of 4 was unheard of down in this part of the country.
So here's the images that finally close the story...

1) From an overpass in Inola, OK where he first encountered the set heading north

2) Pulling into Pratt siding to meet a southbound grain train

3) The grain train holding on the main with a UP C30 and two MP SD40s as WP 3556 passes at Pratt siding in Oklahoma

All taken by Daryl McGee in October of 1984 on the way to Coffeyville, KS
PQM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/14 22:05 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 07/21/14 22:12
Re: Fulfilling A Story and Some Outta Place WP Units
Author: wabash2800

Nifty. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/21/14 22:41
Author: billmeeker

For a few years after the "merger", a large block of WP GP40's / GP40-2's were sent to the MOPAC where they worked in local service out of Ft. Worth. I have only seen a few photos of them down in the Lone Star State.

After cycling through the Jenks shops for new UP paint, most of the GP40-2's came home to WP, some in MP-style block letters. Some are still around their old California haunts today, wearing their 3rd or 4th UP numbers.

The GP40's never made it home. They were sold (to Chicago Missouri and Western I believe) where they lived out their remaining years.

Date: 07/21/14 23:46
Author: zephyrus

Neat! Thanks for posting!

Z

Date: 07/22/14 13:35
Author: SCKP187

Super shots PQM---I wish I would have been more active those years and gotten some of that action. Great that it has been preserved.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/22/14 18:46
Author: oklachaser

I agree PQM, great photos. Great find. Keep them coming.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds