Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lone pine train depot in process of restoration

Date: 07/27/14 22:49
Lone pine train depot in process of restoration
Author: Lone_pine_depot

I live at the lone pine train depot. long abandoned for many years when we arrived the roof was collapsed the windows were broken out, graffiti was everywhere it was a mess. it looked horrible such an historical building left to decay, one the only remaining pieces from the jawbone route. 20 years have passed and now it looks way better. It needs new paint and new wood for the platform. There is a no trespassing sign but we welcome visitors and photographers. The dogs will not bite they bark they are very friendly. Bookstore no longer in service. Pictures will be up soon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/14 22:54 by Lone_pine_depot.

Date: 07/27/14 22:54
Re: Lone pine train depot in process of restoration
Author: warrenpweiss

Wonderful. You are to be commended for taking on such a task. Also very glad to know that a friendly railfan lives there! Many times I've thought of going to look at the station but stayed away out of respect for the privacy of the residents.

Warren Weiss

Date: 07/27/14 22:55
Author: Lone_pine_depot

I will have pictures up tomorrow thank you

Date: 07/27/14 22:59
Author: DNRY122

You deserve a "station preservation award", like the folks who restored the Sacramento Northern depot in Meridian CA.

Date: 07/28/14 10:00
Author: Nickster

My hat is off to you. I've been by there many times and have given the place a wide berth because of the signs and dogs.Maybe I'll stop by when I'm up there this fall.

Dave

Date: 07/28/14 12:00
Author: Wildebeest

It's great to know that you care enough about the depot to preserve it -- it's not a small structure and maintaining a building like that is not for the faint of heart!

John Sweetser of Bakersfield, who has spent considerable time researching SP paint colors and examining restorations, asked me to forward the following:

"For accurate repainting of the Lone Pine depot, it would be best to match the colors reproduced in Henry Bender's book, "Southern Pacific Lines Standard-Design Depots." See the section in the book about depot paint.

DO NOT follow the recommendations for SP depot colors found on the Niles Depot website. Those recommendations are wrong. For example, the SP never had a standard color for its wooden depots called "Samoa Brown," which is a lot darker than the SP's official color of "Light Brown." The website's version of "Colonial Yellow" is also wrong.

John Sweetser"

Date: 07/29/14 15:04
Author: BoilingMan

These photos aren't mine, exiled TO member SP5312 sent them to me from an undisclosed location. (Dick Cheney says Hi!)
They're from a chase of the Lone Pine Local in June 1980.
He thought you might like them and asked me to pass them along..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds