Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP/PE Etiwanda: Once Upon a Time

Date: 07/28/14 17:03
SP/PE Etiwanda: Once Upon a Time
Author: spider1319

SP 2616 visits Etiwanda with a lumber load.The first view shows the Local shoving into spot on the house track. the second view passing the depot at Etiwanda. And the third shot shows the Local crossing Baseline returning cab hop to West Colton. Lots of open space and smog.Bill Webb

Date: 07/28/14 17:09
Re: SP/PE Etiwanda: Once Upon a Time
Author: MacBeau

Great material—thank you.
—Mac

Date: 07/28/14 17:34
Author: CPRR

I will assume that none of this track exists anymore.....

Date: 07/28/14 18:31

The right of way was purchased by SANBAG and converted to trail from Claremont to Fontana I believe.The portion from Claremont to LA is used for Metrolink passenger service.The remaining segment from Bench to Rialto exists today to serve a lumber yard in Rialto.Bill Webb

Date: 07/28/14 19:48
Author: DNRY122

When were these photos taken? I'm sure the wide open spaces are now wall-to-wall suburbia.

Date: 07/28/14 21:19
Author: SCAX3401

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When were these photos taken? I'm sure the wide
> open spaces are now wall-to-wall suburbia.

Here is what those three shots would look like today.

Date: 07/28/14 21:45
Author: TonyJ

Thanks for the photos showing the slower pace side of the old SP.

Date: 07/28/14 22:45
Author: miralomarail

When I was at the opening of the Remodeled Etiwanda Station , I , noticed that their is still track located on the North side of the Depot that never got removed

Date: 07/29/14 07:15
Author: FiveChime

Non standard Nathan P5 horn on SW1500 2616, probably a Karl Ragoza placement. Railroad, locomotive, and Karl are now all gone!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/29/14 08:16

The shots were taken in 1981.And yes, wall to wall suburbia.But, the air quality and visibility are much improved. Bill Webb

Date: 07/29/14 09:10
Author: callum_out

Which is an accomplishment since 1957 was about the worst and there's a lot more people
there now, no heavy industry any more but a lot more people.

Date: 07/29/14 09:13
Author: colehour

spider1319 Wrote:
> The shots were taken in 1981.And yes, wall to wall
> suburbia.But, the air quality and visibility are
> much improved.

That's what I noticed immediately. I lived in Claremont and Glendora while in grad school from 1973-1976, and back again from 1982-2001. What an enormous change in air quality during that time.

Date: 07/31/14 01:22
Author: lwilton

callum_out Wrote:
> Which is an accomplishment since 1957 was about
> the worst

I'd say it was several years after that. I spent a couple years having 8AM classes at Chaffey College up on the hillside in 69 and 70 or thereabouts. I remember the first year you could watch the smog start from Kaiser before 8, have it filling a lot of the east valley by 9, have it filling most of the west valley by 10, and the level up over the college by 11. A year or two later and the valley would be full by 8 and the smog level over the college by class break at 9. Also, it started filling from the west to east, as the imported smog from LA got worse. Of course Kaiser was gone a few years after that, but the smog sure wasn't!

Bad as it got in that area, if I remember the worst smog was around the Glendora-Arcadia area, up against the foothills. They got it blown in from both directions and it pocketed there against the hills. I worked in Pasadena a little north of Foothill Blvd. in the 1970s, and I remember there were many years that we couldn't see the hills to the north for about 9 months out of the year. It wan't unusual for visibility on the freeway to be one mile or less, then everything just faded into a reddish-grey. Reminded me a lot of a story by the name of _The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag_.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds