Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pine Gorge

Date: 07/29/14 02:41
Pine Gorge
Author: mp51w

Nothing more inviting than a roomette window lit up at night!
This shot was taken at Chicago Union Station 7-2-87.
The sleeper was on train #50, The Cardinal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 00:37 by mp51w.

Date: 07/29/14 11:02
Re: Pine Gorge
Author: Topfuel

Yes, definitely one of the most pleasant experiences in American travel history, the Roomette.

Note that the Pine-series 10-6 sleepers had cutaway roomette beds, while the UP Pacific-series and the SP Sunset Limited 10-6 sleepers, all built within a year of each other, had non-cutaway roomette beds.

Date: 07/29/14 17:01
Author: rrpreservation

OK what is the difference between a cutaway bed versus a non-cutaway bed? Thanks!

Date: 07/29/14 18:28
Author: BuddPullman

Great Pix!

The cut away Roomette bed was a terrific innovation that allowed the Roomette occupant to raise the bed and access the commode, for example, (toilet or for other task) without having to open the Roomette door and stepping into the hallway while the bed was being raised.

If the Roomette curtain was zipped closed, it would provide some privacy as one was standing in the hallway raising the bed, however, with the cut away bed you could stay enclosed in your private room.

A friend from T.O. kindly provided me with a copy of the Budd proposal to UPRR entitled "Specifications for Stainless Steel Sleeping Cars for Union Pacific Railroad Company" dated 2-9-1948 "Revised." The Cabin drawings (early name for a Roomette)of 9/17/1946 did not include a cut away roomette bed, nor did the proposed "Alternates."

The proposed Budd "Pacific" series initially looked more like MP slab sided Budd Pullmans with natural skirts and without OSH trucks.

Thanks for pointing out the cut a way bed TopFuel!

Date: 07/30/14 11:55
Author: bluesboyst

So inviting...last time I was on a heritage sleeper was April 1996....

Steve

Date: 07/30/14 15:46
Author: mcfflyer

Ahh, a roomette - a real roomette! My first was on SP's Cascade in 1969 in a Budd built 10-6 from the Sunset. Full width bed, of course. My first cutaway was later that summer on the IC Panama Limited. I connected to the real California Zephyr in Chicago, again in a roomette. The trip that all of my future trips I've ever made was measured against.

My last? Two years ago on the VIA Rail Canadian in a Manor sleeper, also with a cutaway bed. So wonderful to lay in bed at night, looking out the window, and your bed is right at the window height. You don't have to sit up like you do in a Superliner economy bedroom.

Lee Hower
Sacramento

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 16:45 by mcfflyer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds