Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rock Island Around El Reno

Date: 07/29/14 21:24
Rock Island Around El Reno
Author: BNSF-6432

I decided to share this other film from my father's collection. This time farther south than the last video, now we're in El Reno as he was trying to capture as much of the Rock as possible sense by the mid-70s it wasn't looking like they'd survive much longer. Anytime they had the chance to get out of work, Frank Tribbey and him (Daryl McGee) would hop in the car and head to El Reno and shoot as much Rock Island as possible. This time accompanied by jazz. So here ya go...

RI action around El Reno mid-70s including some SP and former UP Fs

PQM

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/29/14 21:41
Re: Rock Island Around El Reno
Author: GRNDMND

Thanks for sharing this little treasure. I believe only the Rock Island could and did, put together such hodge-podge loco consists as were portrayed in these clips. Absolutely amazing that they lasted as long as they did. A real credit to all the employees that stuck it out and held it together.

KC

Date: 07/29/14 21:54
Author: ClipX

Very Nice!! Love the music!!!

Date: 07/30/14 01:32
Author: gandydancer4

OMG!! WOW!! This video proves two things: 1.) That the "Rock" SHOULD have merged with the SP and UP back in the late 60s. I have NO IDEA why it took over 10 years for the then ICC to make a decision. And 2.) that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING did happen on the ROCK with regard to locomotive consist make up and trailing rolling stock. THANK YOU so much for sharing this video.

Date: 07/30/14 09:14
Author: cabman

Very nostalgic video that brought back many sad memories. It's too bad your father didn't let the camera run just a little bit longer in about three or four instances when something interesting was about to happen, but unfortunately he stopped filming. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 07/30/14 09:41
Author: winstonhill

Those 8 mm home movie cameras of the time would only take about 30 seconds of footage at a time.

Winston Hill

Date: 07/30/14 11:15
Author: kingman

Was that Duke Ellington playing?

Date: 07/30/14 12:13
Author: dt8089

Glad to see your dad's collection is in good hands. Dan Tracy

Date: 07/30/14 19:03
Author: 567Chant

Remember, too that movie film and developing weren't cheap.
Thanx for the retrovista!
...Lorenzo

Date: 07/30/14 22:05
Author: GN_X838

Thanks for posting. I had forgotten how much I miss the "Big Band" sound of the 40's. Louis is still my favorite instermenteilist.....Swede...Albany,Or.

Date: 07/31/14 03:07
Author: BCHellman

GN_X838 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting. I had forgotten how much I
> miss the "Big Band" sound of the 40's. Louis is
> still my favorite
> instermenteilist.....Swede...Albany,Or.

The soundtrack is from the bee-bop 50's era rather than Big Band. Sounded a bit like Miles Davis.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds