Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Nostalgia & History > St. Joseph County, Indiana Railroad Map

Date: 07/30/14 17:51
St. Joseph County, Indiana Railroad Map
Author: wabash2800

When I do book signing presentations for "Railroading on the Wabash Fourth District" in a particular location, I make a map of railroads in that surrounding county. This is St. Joseph County, Indiana for South Bend recently. I've also included the official completion date and the abandonment date in parenthesis (if applicable) from the best information available. But due to the scale of the map, the exact locations of lines around South Bend are not shown in as great as detail as time would allow. "NI" and "SS" stand for the Northern Indiana and South Shore interurbans, respectively. Note the SS no longer runs into South Bend but rather to the airport on a new line. The blue line railroads were all part of the New York Central, whether it be Michigan Central, Big Four, or former Chicago, Indiana & Southern (the Kankakee Belt) and former LS&MS lines.

This and other maps and topics can be found on my blog at http://www.erstwhilepublications.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 21:05 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/30/14 19:17
Re: St. Joseph County, Indiana Railroad Map
Author: BN7149

Great resource Victor, thank you! I wish I'd been able to see so many of those lines in operation, but I have to settle for grassy right-of-ways. Your Wabash 4th district book is bringing some of it to life for me though, it's been a very enjoyable read thus far!

Could the map use a possible addition? I think the NKP IMC branch touched the extreme southwest corner of the county as it exited Walkerton toward the northwest... of course the line might be 3 whole pixels on the map.

-Ryan

Date: 07/30/14 19:37

Yes! You are correct. It was in the very southwest part of the county at Walkerton. And I also missed the B&O there too!

I corrected it and uploaded the correct version. Thanks again. I also added Olivers.

BN7149 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> Could the map use a possible addition? I think
> the NKP IMC branch touched the extreme southwest
> corner of the county as it exited Walkerton toward
> the northwest... of course the line might be 3
> whole pixels on the map.
>
> -Ryan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 21:06 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/30/14 19:39

Folks, I've added a few more photos on the blog at http://www.erstwhilepublications.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 19:39 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0614 seconds