Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > I wonder if all RRs pinched pennys like the MILW

Date: 08/19/14 17:15
I wonder if all RRs pinched pennys like the MILW
Author: lwilton

I've just come across a memo from the head electrical engineer to the VP in charge of electrification. It is in reply to a memo I do not have, but from the reply the memo had to say "why do you keep sending me requisitions to sign? Why does it cost so much?"

The last paragraphs of the reply note:

"The construction of the substations should not ordinarily require the occupation of the main tracks, but there may be emergency conditions which will necessitate the occupation of the main track for short periods and we thought it best to have on hand the comparatively inexpensive flags and lanterns called for. We have changed the number of red flags to three and cut out the green lanterns.

"With regard to the various lantern frames and globes called for, these will also be used in connection with open excavation work, etc. to prevent accidents. I trust this explanation will be satisfactory."

Date: 08/19/14 17:43
Re: I wonder if all RRs pinched pennys like the MILW
Author: LarryDoyle

Note the use of Green Lantern to mark the hazards of open excavations.

At this time, green was the universally accepted color for caution. The 1917 Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul rulebook are shown below.

I have an architecture book from the 1880's that also advises posting green lanterns at excavations.

I had an art teacher way back in school, who could not accept the suggestion that we do not have an intrinsic interpretation of meaning associated with various colors..

-John

Date: 08/20/14 08:12
Re: I wonder if all RRs pinched pennys like the MILW
Author: ntharalson

To respond to the question posed in the title, William Deramus, all editions,
werewell known as the biggest skinflints in railroading. Frailey states in
"Twilight of the Great Trains" they were know for pinching a penny until
the copper bled out. In fact, all capital stock companies pinch pennies.
They're trying to make a profit.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0266 seconds