Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Nostalgia & History > DM&E Excursion 10 years ago today!

Date: 08/21/14 11:39
DM&E Excursion 10 years ago today!
Author: santafe199

10 years ago today the DM&E ran an excursion in northern Missouri between Liberty & Chillicothe. Long time Kansas railfan Tony Fey (& then-Union Pacific conductor) rode this excursion and presents the following photo-study. Tony’s shots are less than that supposed 13 year old TO cut-off I’ve heard about. But I’ve posted his stuff on the Nostalgia forum in light of the DM&E/ICE being swept into the CP system. I also have some personal nostalgia here, having worked for DM&E during the summer of 1987. Here are some of Tony’s excursion shots:

1. & 2. ICE 4203 is pulling the excursion consist out onto the mainline, and backing it into position for passenger loading at the Liberty depot. It looks like that mean old weatherman was up to his usual tricks…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 11:45 by santafe199.

Date: 08/21/14 11:40
Re: DM&E Excursion 10 years ago today!

3. & 4. A couple of ‘train shots’ prior to departure. A little touch of sunshine in #4!
(photos 1-4 at Liberty, MO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/22 22:29 by santafe199.

Date: 08/21/14 11:41

5. & 6. The DM&E Supt. arranged for this glorious sun-lit photo stop at Chillicothe before the power was to be run around the train for its return.
(photos 5-6 at Chillicothe, MO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/22 22:29 by santafe199.

Date: 08/21/14 11:42

7. An available-light shot from the interior of ICE observation car “The Pioneer” en route & at speed. This is ex-Missouri Pacific biz car #8 and this was Tony’s first chance to actually ride in it! Missouri Pacific is his original RR employer.

8. Back at Liberty the fans are treated to another sun-lit photo op before the power is run around the train again. According to Tony’s notes the DM&E would run only one more excursion in the Kansas City area before the CP take-over…
(all photos by Tony Fey on August 21, 2004)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Tony Fey (mopacrr)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/22 22:31 by santafe199.

Date: 08/21/14 13:09
Author: mg8711

I recall seeing my first and only IC&E train a couple of weeks prior to this. Thanks for the memories both of you!
Lucas

Date: 08/21/14 18:41
Author: The_Chief_Way

nice pics
who sponsored this one?
I don't recall it.

Date: 08/21/14 19:11

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> who sponsored this one?

I dunno. I was AWOL (from the Land of OZ) at the time. Maybe Tony can fill us in...

Lance

Date: 08/22/14 05:07
Author: mopacrr

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> > who sponsored this one?
>
> I dunno. I was AWOL (from the Land of OZ) at the
> time. Maybe Tony can fill us in...
>
> Lance

DM&E Shippers Special. A group of fans , myself included, were at Liberty taking pictures when the DM&E Supt. came up to us and told us that not all the shippers/people who were invited showed up, and that if we wanted to ride along we could if would sign a release. We all signed a releases, and off we went. Supt invited us to take turns riding in the business car, and were also treated to lunch on the train. Doubt that will ever happen again.

Date: 08/22/14 09:11
Author: dpc37

Here are a couple I took on that day from the return trip from Chillicothe Missouri the ICE Superintendent was Greg Mass.
The ICE 6459 was the MKCSP-21 about 4 miles north of Lawson Missouri off a county road bridge the ICE 6459 north was about
5 minutes ahead of the ICE 4204 south both trains were running track speed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds