Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > speed for crossing at rochelle, il

Date: 08/21/14 14:00
speed for crossing at rochelle, il
Author: schneid

IN the 1950s what was the speed limit for the north coast limited and empire builder through the crossing in rochelle, il?What also was the speed limit at that time for the cnw-up streamliners over the crossing

Date: 08/22/14 08:16
Re: speed for crossing at rochelle, il
Author: mamfahr

schneid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IN the 1950s what was the speed limit for the
> north coast limited and empire builder through the
> crossing in rochelle, il?What also was the speed
> limit at that time for the cnw-up streamliners
> over the crossing

Hello,

I don't have the answer for you but can tell you where to look. Go to the CB&Q and CNW employee timetables for the early 1950s, the speeds will be shown there. I believe you'll find that the crossing itself wasn't the issue, rather, it would have been the Rochelle road crossings, the curves in the area and perhaps signal spacing/visibility that would have restricted those trains. Curves were especially restrictive on the Q.

Take care,

Mark

Date: 08/22/14 11:41
Author: czephyr17

mamfahr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to the CB&Q and CNW employee
> timetables for the early 1950s, the speeds will be
> shown there.

Bear in mind that, unlike today, Special Instructions in the 1950's and 1960's were often a separate document from the Timetable, so make sure you ask for the "Special Instructions" for the subdivision and era you are looking for. Also, some railroads only showed the maximum speed for the subdivision in the special instruction, with local speed restrictions shown on track side signs.

Sometimes track charts also show speeds, but I think that is a hit or miss.

Date: 08/23/14 12:43
Author: jo-tower

Both the Empire Builder and the North Coast Ltd. stopped in Rochelle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds