Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > Have you ever been afraid while train watching?

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 08/26/14 10:01
Have you ever been afraid while train watching?
Author: speederman01

Have you ever been train watching and ended up in a situation where you felt afraid? I have been interested in railroading since 1980 and have been in that situation a few times. Probably the most memorable was a time a buddy and I were in Dubuque, Iowa waiting for a Milwaukee road train to thread its way through town. This was prior to the massive freeway project that relocated most of the tracks of the Illinois Central and Milwaukee Rd. We had parked his car in a legal parking spot next to the tracks and as the train came through at a slower speed (probably 10-15 MPH) we noticed that the cars were rocking so badly that they were bottoming out against the stops on the trucks. I really felt horrible. Both of our wives were sitting in the car on the other side of the tracks and probably didn't even notice how bad the cars were rocking. The train did pass without any cars tipping over but I will never forget that experience.

Dave

Date: 08/26/14 10:27
Re: Have you ever been afraid while train watching?
Author: dcfbalcoS1

No, I don't that close. The most I will ever have is a photo of the mess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/14 10:27 by dcfbalcoS1.

Date: 08/26/14 10:35
Author: pal77

Couple of notables: Bear Mountain NY on the then CR river line and like you car was parked on the other side of the tracks and along comes a black bear and I have no where to go but in the Hudson. Train passed and the bear never made down to me. On the NYSW in Wycoff NJ I was east of a crossing waiting for an e/b and they were doing work on the road(paving) and as the train approached the road grinder decided he needed to cross the tracks. He cleared with about 100' to spare, sure the crew likely checked their shorts and probably had hearing damage from leaning on the horn. As for me I made a bee line to the other end of the parking lot while catching few weird looks from the brick oven pizza place.

Edit I knew I had a print of the road grinder. Grab shot before I bolted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/14 12:05 by pal77.

Date: 08/26/14 10:54
Author: march_hare

Does having a water moccasin dart BETWEEN your legs while climbing up a brushy embankment in Texas count? Can't say I was "afraid" at the time, since it happended so fast I was mostly "startled." But when the snake got to the bottom, and coiled in a location where my girlfriend and I could positively ID it, well, real fear would have been appropriate.

And then about 5 years ago, I was waiting for a UP 844 deadhead move at Palisade, NV. Nice morning, little wind, mid 30s, light wet snow overnight. I had some time and wandered into the old station site to see what was left. Walked around the foundation slab and figured out where the waiting room was, etc, then headed a little bit farther up through the underbrush along the tracks.

When I returned, I could see my foot prints in the snow, and the footprints of a cat...a BIG cat... which had not been there 10 minutes previous while I made my footrpints. The cat prints kinda followed mine around the bushes.

Hmmm, what to do. I picked up a stick and did something I never do--namely, walk back to the car in the gauge, simply because that was the most ambush-proof pathway I could think of. Got to eat my breakfast and deny the same to the cat.

Cool pic, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/14 12:36 by march_hare.

Date: 08/26/14 11:11
Author: Rathole

Five or six years ago in Liberal, KS I was clearing some brush away from the track to open up a photo when I heard the unmistakable buzz of a rattlesnake. I had no idea where he was so I just stopped and quickly scanned the area to see where he WASN'T, then made a heck of a leap in that direction. And while standing on the US 60 overpass at the east end of Abo Canyon, NM on the BNSF (then Santa Fe) I went down the embankment to remove a pizza box someone had thrown out and there was a small rattler coiled up underneath the box. Those two incidents were the most scared I've ever been. And to think some railfans go out in shorts, sandals, and even flip-flops! Not me!

Date: 08/26/14 11:29
Author: MThopper

I was on U.S. 41 north of Chicago (near Highland Park)and was watching a northbound C&NW train on the adjacent "new line". Noticed a dust cloud being raised, then noticed that there was a dragging load. At that point, the road makes a jog and crosses under the tracks. I could see that I was on an intercept course with the dragging load. I hit my 4-way flashers and stopped on the highway before the under pass. Fortunately, the train crew had noticed the dragging load and the train got stopped. I was not afraid; concerned would be a better term.

Date: 08/26/14 11:41
Author: livesteamer

About 20 years in parts of East St Louis where I should have never driven .... 'nuff said

Posted from Android

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 08/26/14 11:41
Author: tomstp

The Frisco 8th St. yard in Ft Worth Tx was that bad or worse. There was a 5 mph speed limit through the yard and for good reason. When a freight would come in the box cars would be violently swinging from side to side so bad I thought they would all just fall over. Indeed I saw a standing hopper car derail with a resounding "boing". Finally the ICC threatend to embargo the yard if Frisco did not repair the track. Frisco did some repair and not long after that merged with BN who used the yard only for car storage and not long for that before selling it FWWR.

Date: 08/26/14 11:54
Author: Cumbres

The worst one I had was on the MKT south of Parsons. Had a great location for a southbound. Noted a truck coming towards me to the crossing. I wasn't paying a lot of attention see he was going slow and figuring he would stop. But he didn't. The train caught the brush hanging off of the rear of the truck. If the truck had been hit it would have spun to where I was standing. After that I have had a strict rule to always be on the side of the road that the train is coming from, not the other even if the picture would be better.

Date: 08/26/14 11:58
Author: zephyrus

Was railfanning via dirt bike about 25 years ago east of Kingman, AZ. My dirt bike was a Honda 360SX baby cruiser that my uncle fitted with knobby tires, so it was not your typical off-roader, much bulkier and heavier. The access roads along the Santa Fe were hard pack and able to support some pretty high speeds, so I would often enjoy racing the trains. I think the Santa Fe was 79 MPH through there and this old Honda could hit about 72-73, so they often outran me.

Was pacing one train eastbound and he was doing just my speed, so I was really enjoying the chase (oh to have had a Go Pro back then). Suddenly, the conductor leans out the window and starts waving and yelling. I had completely forgotten that Arizona is crisscrossed by dry washes and I was about 50 feet from a 20+ foot drop. I went off it at over 70.

Only two reasons I lived: 1 - it was a wide wash and 2 - it had about 2+ feet of soft sand in the bottom. I hit with my rear tire slightly first and managed to keep the bike square and upright. With a slight turn I hit the climb out on the other side and popped right back onto the road in time to see the conductor halfway out the window and his jaw hanging open.

After I stopped, I think I sat there and shook for a good 10 minutes. Absolutely thought I was done for.

Z

Date: 08/26/14 12:27
Author: BaltoJoey

zephyrus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was railfanning via dirt bike about 25 years ago
> east of Kingman, AZ. My dirt bike was a Honda
> 360SX baby cruiser that my uncle fitted with
> knobby tires, so it was not your typical
> off-roader, much bulkier and heavier. The access
> roads along the Santa Fe were hard pack and able
> to support some pretty high speeds, so I would
> often enjoy racing the trains. I think the Santa
> Fe was 79 MPH through there and this old Honda
> could hit about 72-73, so they often outran me.
>
> Was pacing one train eastbound and he was doing
> just my speed, so I was really enjoying the chase
> (oh to have had a Go Pro back then). Suddenly,
> the conductor leans out the window and starts
> waving and yelling. I had completely forgotten
> that Arizona is crisscrossed by dry washes and I
> was about 50 feet from a 20+ foot drop. I went
> off it at over 70.
>
> Only two reasons I lived: 1 - it was a wide wash
> and 2 - it had about 2+ feet of soft sand in the
> bottom. I hit with my rear tire slightly first
> and managed to keep the bike square and upright.
> With a slight turn I hit the climb out on the
> other side and popped right back onto the road in
> time to see the conductor halfway out the window
> and his jaw hanging open.
>
> After I stopped, I think I sat there and shook for
> a good 10 minutes. Absolutely thought I was done
> for.
>
> Z

Afterwards, were your 'tighty whiteys,' 'bulging brownies' ?

Date: 08/26/14 12:37
Author: wabash2800

Speed kills.

Date: 08/26/14 12:58
Author: florida581

In the mid 90's, I had just moved to Plant City, FL. I was about 15 years old and I was watching trains around the depot. Those who don't know Plant City, the S-line makes a sharp turn just south of the depot before crossing the A-line diamond. Back then the tracks weren't in the best shape. A northbound train came around the turn. The two locomotives made it around the curve along with 5 or so cars, but then the rail broke and an autorack rolled onto its side. I was in the public parking lot next to the track when this happened. The autorack came to rest about 10 feet from where I was standing.

If that wasn't traumatic enough for me, a police officer came shortly after the event and played "bad cop" with me. He was certain that I had something to do with the derailment. I guess there's something conspicuous about a scared teenager, by himself, at the scene of a derailment.

Andrew

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/26/14 13:25
Author: PERichardson

Every time I shot trains on the Columbia River side of the track just east of the tunnel at Cape Horn, WA. That's the old SP&S mainline, now BNSF. Something happens to a train there you're the bug on the windshield.

Date: 08/26/14 15:34
Author: Mudrock

Mine was at James, CA. I was leaning against my 64 Chevey Implala with my friend Jeff in the passenger seat. We were waiting fr a WP Train when I looked down and saw a 15 foot long Rattlesnake going by my feet. I jumped clear up to the roof of my car and Jeff saw me go. He said, "What Happened?" and I responded with one word "Snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I hate snakes with a passion. When the train came I shot a climbing shot then crossed to the other side of the highway and walked to the Upper Bridge to get my shot there.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/14 20:07 by Mudrock.

Date: 08/26/14 17:55
Author: RailDawg

I've been caught in many a tunnel and on many a bridge over the years. I've always had a backup plan and a place to step into for safety but still have seen my share of E-ticket rides.

Yes not very smart but after 40+ years I still walk the rails at least a couple times a week all over the country... Night-time is always the most exciting as you never get seen. I've walked literally tens of thousands rail miles and have seen a life-time of crazy stuff.

There's nothing quite like sneaking up on a gang of thugs who have no idea you're there. You sneak away just as quietly.

Chuck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/14 17:56 by RailDawg.

Date: 08/26/14 18:26
Author: Ray_Murphy

About 20 years ago I was standing trackside watching a CN freight go by when I noticed a white cloud coming from under a car still about 30-40 cars away. A lot of the cars in this train were propane tankers and I thought one had sprung a leak. I had seen photos of the 1973 Kingman, Arizona propane tank car explosion, and there was no way I was going to get 500 yards away from that track in just a few seconds.

It turned out it was not a propane tanker that was leaking, but rather a covered hopper leaking flour. Further, someone on the highway had reported the problem to CN, and the train came to a stop with the offending car just where I was standing. A while later, a CN carman drove up and fixed the problem.

Ray

Date: 08/26/14 23:12
Author: WP282

atsffan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First was being up at Sullivan's Curve in Cajon
> doing some photography in the late 1970s; turned
> to walk down a dry wash that lead back towards
> Cajon station and heard a bullet go whizzing past
> me right as I heard the crack of a rifle. Dropped
> behind some large rocks and yelled at the shooter
> that there were people in the wash (I had two
> friends with me). I heard the shooter talk to
> someone, I peered around the rock and yelled
> again. They finally saw me and dropped their
> rifles; they said they had no idea people would be
> hiking up in this area.
>
> Richard

My friend and I had a similar experience. We were driving down the access road of Christy siding on the Santa Fe in Franklin Canyon, (east of Richmond, CA). We heard the buzzing of multiple bullets go whizzing over our heads. We saw down at the east end of the siding a couple of guys with rifles. My friend threw it in reverse and we got the heck out of there. We went to the nearest phone (pre-cell phone days) and called the sheriff to report it.

Mike

Date: 08/27/14 02:14
Author: DNRY122

In response to another post, I attached some photo of the Pacific Cement & Aggregate railway at Davenport CA. After leaving the plant and getting back to Santa Cruz, I started following this branch line SP track. It led to a tunnel, which I started walking through. Then I heard a locomotive horn and thought, "This is not where I want to be if that train needs to use this tunnel." So I got myself in the clear, getting these photos as the train approached. But wait! There's more: A few months later, there was a report that the train was about to go through a tunnel in Santa Cruz (presumably this one) and the crew found an automobile stuck in the tunnel. They went to investigate and found murder victims in the car. Needless to say, they beat a retreat and called either the local police or the SP special agents.

Date: 08/27/14 07:18
Author: mkerner

One day I parked my big truck at the Sheetz truck stop in Du Bois,PA and walked over to the Buffalo and Pittsburgh yard to see what was there. After photographing a couple a units I started walking back and noticed cars stopping at a crossing in front of me. I hadn't heard any trains and all of the sudden this black bear crossed my path about 10 foot in front of me I almost didn't take a picture of him for fear of spooking him. My heart was beating so hard it gave me a headache.
Michael T Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0947 seconds