Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: FM memories in Chicago

Date: 08/27/14 07:45
WAG Wednesday: FM memories in Chicago
Author: santafe199

Here are a couple of nostalgic scenes of a passenger train orientation from the Windy City. Although taken 10 years apart, there is some Fairbanks-Morse nostalgia here in both shots. Enough to warm the heart of any Santa Fe passenger fan. Bill didn’t provide much extra information on his 2 slides other than date & location. These scenes may have been utterly commonplace when he took them decades years ago. (And image #2 was actually taken during Amtrak’s early days.)

But my goodness, it still looks ‘Santa Fe all the way’! And just listen to that FM chug…

1. Zebra-striped AT&SF 541 in (passenger) switching service on June 16, 1962.

2. Blue & yellow 543 is shoving Amtrak train #15 into Union Station on September 23, 1972. The lead unit-314L was later rebuilt into CF-7 2508.
(2 photos by William A. Gibson [Bill] Sr. in Chicago, IL)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/22 22:54 by santafe199.

Date: 08/27/14 09:19
Re: WAG Wednesday: FM memories in Chicago
Author: Rathole

"FM, no static at all." Hey Lance, I was very fortunate to get to see and photograph those FM's in service in the early 70's in Chicago. Some friends and I drove up from Memphis in April 1973 which was my first trip up there; I was the ripe old age of 16! While we were being chauffeured around Chicago by a good friend who lived there we listened to rock music on WDAI "FM" - another "FM" memory for me. Those call letters stuck with me because there was (and still is) a WDIA in Memphis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 10:10 by Rathole.

Date: 08/27/14 10:23

Rathole Wrote:
> ...chauffeured around Chicago...listened to rock music on WDAI "FM."

You definitely have one on me there! I would turn 18 in June of '73, but wouldn't visit Chicago as a railfan for another 6 years. Got some 'stuff', though...

For the early 70's music radio scene all we could get in my hometown (Manhattan) was WHB (KC), WLS (Chicago) & KOMA (OK City) for standard AM radio. Talk about STATIC! FM top-40 was a year or so away yet. Oh yeah... for some real 'underground' stuff we could always pull in "Beaker Street" from KAAY in Little Rock! As Archie Bunker sang: "Those were the days..."

The "FM" Soundtrack entered Billboard's Top-200 Albums chart in May of 1978, reached a #5 position and rode a mere 12 weeks on that chart. I don't believe I ever saw the movie in its entirety but the music was GREAT: a hodge-podge of killer, mostly Top-40 tunes...

DJ Sir L

Date: 08/27/14 11:13
Author: Englewood

Picture 1 was taken on the east side of Dearborn St. Station by the "Annex".
Very nice. Thank you for posting!

Date: 08/27/14 11:22
Author: DRGW5502

Beauty

Date: 08/27/14 11:35
Author: Rathole

On the overnight drive up to Chicago, we listened to WLS AM 89 all the way - I've even got a CD of a bunch of WLS jingles. I remember there was a female DJ named Yyonne Daniels who did the overnights on WLS in that early-mid 70's era. I'll bet a lot of other railfans are WLS "veterans" too!

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> You definitely have one on me there! I would turn
> 18 in June of '73, but wouldn't visit Chicago as a
> railfan for another 6 years. Got some 'stuff',
> though...
>
> For the early 70's music radio scene all we could
> get in my hometown (Manhattan) was WHB (KC), WLS
> (Chicago) & KOMA (OK City) for standard AM radio.
> Talk about STATIC! FM top-40 was a year or so away
> yet. Oh yeah... for some real 'underground' stuff
> we could always pull in "Beaker Street" from KAAY
> in Little Rock! As Archie Bunker sang: "Those were
> the days..."
>
> The "FM" Soundtrack entered Billboard's Top-200
> Albums chart in May of 1978, reached a #5 position
> and rode a mere 12 weeks on that chart. I don't
> believe I ever saw the movie in its entirety but
> the music was GREAT: a hodge-podge of killer,
> mostly Top-40 tunes...
>
> DJ Sir L

Date: 08/27/14 18:14
FM memories in Chicago
Author: Bob3985

Hey Lance,
Us old farts did get to see the FM's in service and I too have a few shots of them. I also have a shot of the dead line as they were stored for trade in/ scrap. I have a silhouette shot of one of these switching in North Joliet. Part of growing up along the ATSF/GMO in my home town.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/27/14 19:38
Re: FM memories in Chicago

Bob3985 Wrote:
> Hey Lance, Us old farts did get to see the FM's in service...

Nice! The only Santa Fe FMs I remember seeing were the 3000 class (H-16-44s) in my Grandma's home town of Abilene, KS (my beloved '2nd' hometown). They were pretty regular fare in Abilene in the 1960s, along the usual gazillion F's & GP-7s. Us cousins would occasionally get rides 'around the yard', so I may have even gotten a ride in one...

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 19:42 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0635 seconds