Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > Dwarf semaphore

Date: 08/27/14 09:09
Dwarf semaphore
Author: Rathole

I am in the process of restoring a dwarf semaphore signal that was recently donated to the Memphis Railroad and Trolley Museum, in Memphis, TN. These were once in use in Memphis. This apparently was made by Brach Manufacturing Co in Newark, NJ. Prior to seeing this signal I had never heard of Brach. A Google search has provided some tidbits of information, but I would be interested in seeing a catalog listing of one of these if any of you happen to have one.

Do any of you signal collectors out there have a Brach signal in your collection? Apparently they made other signal devices such as crossing flashers.

This is a really nice piece of Memphis railroad history and the museum is very fortunate to have obtained it. The lenses and blade are missing. I can get replacement lenses, but I could use a good photo of the blade if anyone has one.

Edit: Thanks to "me" for the additional info about the lamp being by Brach and the rest of the signal being US&S! While doing a little more clean-up I did discover that this is indeed a US&S signal (third photo added to show US&S stamping).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 09:44 by Rathole.

Date: 08/27/14 09:23
Re: Brach dwarf semaphore
Author: me

Only the lamp is a Brach. The dwarf semaphore was manufactured by Union Switch & Signal - Swissvale PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 09:23 by me.

Date: 08/27/14 18:48
Author: wabash2800

Here's a US&S dwarf, front and back, different style but I don't know if it helps. This little guy was at Wolcottville, Indiana and no longer in use though the motorized semaphores were. Note the mechanical connection. Someone probably has the semaphore. I recall touching it and noticing the blade was made of rubber. When in use, this Wabash signal protected a siding that connected with an interchange track on the Pennsy (GR&I). Sorry the images aren't sharper but I took than with an instamatic camera when I was a kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 18:49 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/27/14 20:39

Thanks for additional info and photos Wabash2800. There was a bit of the blade broken off on this one and it too was rubber. I suspect many dwarf semaphores were this way.

Date: 08/28/14 05:49
Author: wabash2800

I guess the rubber was there for the protection of a trainmen that might accidentally step into it after alighting from a train?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/14 13:23 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/29/14 04:54

That was my assumption as well.

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess the rubber was there for the protection of
> a trainmen that might accidentally step into it
> after alighting from a train?

Date: 08/29/14 07:44
Author: BCHellman

Rathole's dwarf appears to be pneumatically operated while the one in Wabash's photo is manually operated.

Rathole, did it come with the mechanism?

As for the blade some were steel, others were rubber. Rubber was more for the preservation of the blade rather than concern for crewmen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds