Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Nostalgia & History > Theater Passenger Cars

Date: 08/28/14 20:36
Theater Passenger Cars
Author: MartyBernard

By a theater passenger car I mean a car with rows of seats with each row slightly higher than the previous row to increase visibility. Today we see them as the last car of an inspection train. The back wall of the car is all glass. The rows of seats are backward facing, and subsequent rows are in turn slightly elevated like in a theater. The view out the glass wall is analogous to the screen or stage.

Yesterday 28hogger posted the first picture: A tourist streetcar in Vancouver, BC in 1929. That car has not been saved but at least two from Montreal have.

Well, I'm going to kick it up a notch with the second picture. The picture is from Alaska's Digital Archives with the following caption.

Title: Tourist [railroad] car at Anchorage, Alaska, 1916.
Railroad car with slanted, theater seating; passengers fill seats
Note on verso: "First observation Alaska Railroad car at Anchorage"
ASL-P45-0564
Alaska State Library-Historical Collections

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/14 20:39 by MartyBernard.

Date: 08/28/14 22:25
Re: Theater Passenger Cars
Author: MojaveBill

"There is nothing new under the sun..."

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/28/14 22:27
Author: Evan_Werkema

MartyBernard Wrote:

> Well, I'm going to kick it up a notch with the
> second picture. The picture is from Alaska's
> Digital Archives with the following caption.

Hmmm...so much for front-row-center being the best seat in the house.

Date: 08/28/14 23:38
Author: 28hogger

Thanks Marty, great photo. I wonder if they ran old silent films against the back of that US box car. LOL
Warren

Date: 08/28/14 23:46
Author: 28hogger

That photo of the street car means a little more to me than just a picture, the third tier up the women in white sitting with the little girl is my grandmother and mother.
Warren

Date: 08/29/14 01:31
Author: lwilton

Nobody seems to have commented that the railing is completely different on one side of that streetcar than the other.

Date: 08/29/14 02:23
Author: RNP47

For a time the Seashore Trolley Museum had either the same or a very similar open air trolley car, which, apparently is now at the Connecticut Trolley Museum. I think the photo shows the car at the Connecticut location, as it is from their web site.

Date: 08/29/14 08:53
Author: MartyBernard

The Seashore car was from Montreal.

Date: 08/29/14 23:45
Author: DNRY122

There are four surviving Montreal sightseeing cars--

Canadian Railway Museum at St. Constant, Quebec has #1 and #3, #1 is displayed inoperable, #3 is operated occasionally.

Seashore has #2, and they either just finished or are well along in getting the motors overhauled.

Connecticut Trolley Museum (Warehouse Point, East Windsor) has #4, and it's reported to be in operating condition.

Information from Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars and Seashore Museum newsletter.

Date: 08/31/14 15:09
Author: GLC

Warren,

That is cool, thanks for pointing that out for the rest of us.

Galen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds