Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Nostalgia & History > On the ready track at Bayshore Yard 1964

Date: 08/29/14 11:43
On the ready track at Bayshore Yard 1964
Author: photobob

The power for SP Train 374 is getting a final check before it heads up to Mission Bay Yard in San Francisco to head the overnight CME to Los Angeles.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 08/29/14 12:50
Re: On the ready track at Bayshore Yard 1964
Author: TheG-Man

Great photo Bob. Doesn't get much more classic SP than that. I was lucky to be the engineer of #374 many times back in the '70's, but with SD45's instead of F's. I would have preferred the F's.

Date: 08/29/14 14:38
Re: 374 power
Author: timz

Think that's legal, running the power to
Mission Bay with 374 already in the trailing
numberboards?

Date: 08/29/14 14:39
Re: On the ready track at Bayshore Yard 1964
Author: spnudge

Bob,
That was one of the jobs you got when you worked the afternoon 7th St. hostler. There were 2 jobs. One would go to Bayshore by carry-all, get a FM commute engine that had been serviced and go out to Visitacion and sit. You were on what they called "The Protection Engine". After the fleet went by, 4th St would line you across to the westbound main and you would back up all the way to 7th St. Diesel Terminal.

The other hostling job would take a carry-all to Bayshore and get the Zipper power off the high line where they had been serviced. It was usually the same power that came in on #373 that morning. It usually had a bunch of covered wagons, A & B units and some times an old GP or two. It would take us an hour to knock off the brakes, put them all on the line and hang up the blocking chains. Off we would go to Mission Bay and spot the power on top of the train. The crew was usually there so we just cut out the west unit and the outbound hogger would cut in the east unit. We would carry-all back to 7th St. and see what the next move of the day would be.

Nice pics. Keep them coming.

Nudge

Date: 08/29/14 14:43
Author: WAF

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think that's legal, running the power to
> Mission Bay with 374 already in the trailing
> numberboards?

Its a light engine move, not a train

Date: 08/29/14 22:58
Author: rob_l

WAF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> timz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Think that's legal, running the power to
> > Mission Bay with 374 already in the trailing
> > numberboards?
>
>
> Its a light engine move, not a train

I thought a light engine move was a train.

If the whole run was within yard limits, I suppose it was legal.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/29/14 23:12
Author: TheG-Man

No rail equipment moving anywhere is a train until it displays markers. Lite engine moves usually don't display them unless they're given a track warrant authorizing them to be a train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds