Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hinkle, OR Depot Then and Now and Hotel

Date: 08/29/14 12:00
Hinkle, OR Depot Then and Now and Hotel
Author: MartyBernard

Photos 1. and 2. and captions are from the Oregon Historical Society's Photograph Collection.

1. UNION PACIFIC TRAIN AT HINKLE DEPOT. SWITCHING SIGNALS TOWER ABOVE THE SMALL STATION [Graphic].
Call Number: 020809
Database: OCLC-MARC Bibliographic (OCLC)

2. Unused since 1997, Amtrak shelter at Hinkle September 27, 2008.

3. TRAINMEN'S HOTEL, RIGHT, AT UNION PACIFIC'S DIVISION POINT AT HINKLE, 10 MILES SOUTH OF UMATILLA, OFFICE, FRGRD. [Graphic], 08/20/1951
Call Number: 001210
Database: OCLC-MARC Bibliographic (OCLC)

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 08/30/14 22:29
Re: Hinkle, OR Depot Then and Now and Hotel
Author: rob_l

Great historic stuff. Before 1951, Hinkle was just a junction on the OWR&N main line where the "Washy" main line coming down from Spokane joined the main line coming east from Portland. In those days, the yard where eastbound traffic from Eastern Washington and Western Washington was combined was at Reith, near Pendleton. That all changed because of the McNary Dam project. The Washy main line between Wallula and Hinkle was completely relocated. Before 1951, there also was an extension of the Washy main line from Umatilla (10 miles north of Hinkle) to Messner (28 miles west of Hinkle) for trains from Spokane heading to Portland and vice-versa. This route was lost because of the McNary Dam project, and traffic off the Washy heading to Portland had to be routed over the new line via Hinkle.

The elevated status of Hinkle prompted UP to replace the Reith terminal with a new terminal at Hinkle and build a major yard at Hinkle. I suspect the government paid for a big chunk of it or perhaps all of it as part of the McNary Dam project.

The first photo was obviously taken before the new Hinkle junction and terminal were opened. Train 11, a mail and express train across Idaho and Oregon, is powered by a team of passenger F3s, a sight that would soon after become rare as E units took over UP passenger trains.

The third photo shows Hinkle facilities shortly before the new terminal opened. We can see the new one-spot car repair facility, the new depot, and at upper right, the new club house.

I spent quite a few nights in that club house in the early 1970s and I worked in the Hinkle depot as both operator and Division car distributor, so I am grateful for your sharing these photos.

Best regards,

Rob L.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds