Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Passenger In Oklahoma

Date: 08/31/14 11:04
Santa Fe Passenger In Oklahoma
Author: BNSF-6432

Here's a couple more Santa Fe collection of Frank Tribbey. As seen in the book Trackside on the Santa Fe in Oklahoma with Frank Tribbey, he documented warbonnet passenger action in the sooner state very well. The first one was close to being in the book, but was replaced by another shot very similar. The second one in Tulsa however, was put in.

1) U30CG 404 leads #15 the Texas Chief during the holiday rush in December 1967 in downtown Oklahoma City

2) Here we are in my hometown as the Oil Flyer lays over in downtown Tulsa January 1968 before its 7:00 AM departure the next day

BNSF-6432
PQM

Date: 08/31/14 11:47
Re: Santa Fe Passenger In Oklahoma
Author: The_Chief_Way

looks like 404 is leading the first section of No.15

Date: 08/31/14 11:48
Author: ironmtn

This U30CG fan took a long, long gaze at that first image. Ahem...must remember to say thanks...and I do!

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 08/31/14 12:16
Author: bnsfbob

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This U30CG fan took a long, long gaze at that
> first image. Ahem...must remember to say
> thanks...and I do!
>
> MC
> Columbia, Missouri

I've never met a U30CG fan. Nice to meet you.

Bob

Date: 08/31/14 15:44
Author: santafe199

bnsfbob Wrote:
> I've never met a U30CG fan...

I never met a U-30CG. (at least in Red & Silver) sigh....

:-/

Date: 08/31/14 17:05
Author: RodneyZona

Operating crews on the old Santa Fe Texas Chief at Oklahoma City were based out of Arkansas City, KS and worked between Ark City and Purcell, OK. And operating crews on both the Oil Flyer and the Tulsan were based out of KC and Chanute, KS and worked between KC and Tulsa (conductors, brakemen only). Passenger enginemen were based out of Chanute, KS and worked between Chanute and Tulsa.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 06:45 by RodneyZona.

Date: 08/31/14 18:18
Author: Ptolemy

The morning departure from Tulsa was the Tulsan, not the Oil Flyer, which left in the evening.

Date: 09/01/14 07:34
Author: bluesboyst

That was a cool looking engine... 404.....Very different....Like it....What ever happened to that?

Date: 09/01/14 09:02
Author: ironmtn

bnsfbob Wrote:
> ironmtn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This U30CG fan took a long, long gaze at that
> > first image. Ahem...must remember to say
> > thanks...and I do!
> >
> > MC
> > Columbia, Missouri
>
> I've never met a U30CG fan. Nice to meet you.
>
> Bob

Only a fan as to their interesting external appearance. I know from numerous other posts that they were not well regarded by crews, along with other GE's of the period. On that I totally defer to their experience and knowledge.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 09/01/14 09:07
Author: bnsfbob

ironmtn Wrote:
> bnsfbob Wrote:
> -----
> > ironmtn Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > This U30CG fan took a long, long gaze at that
> > > first image. Ahem...must remember to say
> > > thanks...and I do!
> > >
> > > MC
> > > Columbia, Missouri
> >
> > I've never met a U30CG fan. Nice to meet you.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Only a fan as to their interesting external
> appearance. I know from numerous other posts that
> they were not well regarded by crews, along with
> other GE's of the period. On that I totally defer
> to their experience and knowledge.
>
> MC
> Columbia, Missouri

"Interesting" is the kindest term I've seen applied to their appearance. They weren't well-regarded by anyone including usage in freight service.

Bob

Date: 09/01/14 18:13
Author: lwilton

Its actually quite an interesting step between a covered wagon and a cab unit. Yes, I know E's and F's were GM and not GE. Nonetheless, I'd say the GE engineers had an E or F unit in mind when designing the cab shape on this thing, with the rounded and possibly sloped (I can't tell from the head-on image) frontend.

The appearance of a brand-spanky-new unit of course has little to do with how it performed.

Date: 09/01/14 18:37
Author: garr

A lot of nice pictures of the Santa Fe in OKC in the Trackside book with Tribbey's photos by Morning Sun. What really made the book more enjoyable was actually visiting OKC for the 1st time this summer when the travel fastpitch team I coach played in the ASA Hall of Fame tourney there. We made time to find the depot and visit some of the other railroad sites in the area.

This southerner also learned what wind really is like on the plains of Oklahoma in late June. We sat by the hotel pool and watched an aluminum pool chair slide from one end of the pool area to the other without any human help.

Jay

Date: 09/02/14 06:48
Author: twin_star_rocket

Always liked the looks of the U30CG. I have about 4 of the Hallmarks, and they run about as well as the original. I saw an article about swapping the chassis out for Atlas, and plan to to that to 2 of them.

Also waiting for the oft-promised brass U28CG. I love the Texas Chief, and you can't model it without those two.

Brian Ehni

Date: 09/02/14 12:18
Author: The_Chief_Way

for the record, the train behind the E-8m should be the Oil Flyer, No. 48 which left
Tulsa in the afternoon

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds