Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP in Hanford, California

Date: 09/01/14 09:19
SP in Hanford, California
Author: lamta_jay

I have seen alot of posts of the Santa Fe in Hanford but not much SP action. I guess this is because there was only one train on the Coalinga Branch, in later years it only ran to Huron to serve the large Harris Ranch.
During my visits for work between 1981 and 1992 I saw my fair share of the SP right up to the take over by San Joaquin Valley Railroad in 1992.
At one time there was 2 trains on the line, the Huron Turn and a Dirty Dirt train. The local at some times reminded me of a unit grain train on its way to Harris Ranch which was at the end of the operations. In 1980 on my first visit I remember the tracks still were in place past I-5.

Here are some shots from Hanford, California

1.....Shooting into the sun a Huron Turn has just banged across the diamond with the Santa Fe in December of 1984
2.....A Huron bound local with 3 GP9's gets a green to cross the Santa Fe in February of 1985. This train had 51 loaded hopper cars behind that box car.
3.....SP GP9 # 3766 was a frequent visitor to all the SP branches out of Goshen, California and here it is on the local to Huron. The crews still called it the "Coalinga" when talking to the dispatcher.

I have a few more

Thanks for looking
See you down the tracks

Jay

Date: 09/01/14 10:29
Re: SP in Hanford, California
Author: lamta_jay

Here are 3 more from Hanford, California

4,,,,,Returning from Huron and Armona 4-12-1989

5,,,,,Dirty Dirt Train crossing the Santa Fe taken on the west side of the diamond 10-25-1991

6,,,,,One of the last SP trains, I think this was a clean-up train because of the sale to Kyle, SJVR 12/18/1991

Thanks again for looking

Jay

Date: 09/01/14 10:37
Re: SP in Hanford, California
Author: espee4ever

Outstanding... all of them! Thank you for sharing.
—espee4ever

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds