Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some more early CR and D&H

Date: 09/01/14 11:50
Some more early CR and D&H
Author: ns2557

Back in 1978 about a year before I joined the US Navy, I had the opportunity to spend most of my time out shooting the beginnings of CR in the greater Harrisburg PA Area. My mode of transportation was either my bike or my mom's 1976 Pinto Station wagon. Both got lots of use then. One of my favorite spots was up near what is now the NS Main Line Refueling pad at MP 107. WB trains on the main line out of Hbg always put on a good show of both sight and sound, esp when they cleared the curve at MacClay St where the PRR Diesel Shop/Roundhouse/TT were at. Others were to be had in the surrounding towns. Always something neat to get.

Shot 1. The D&H got trackage rights into the Enola Pa area and eventually Potomac Yard as a condition of the merger. They usually sent one train daily down south, and that was usually RW6, or from what I was told then, The Paper Train. Here in a shot at North Ferry on the CR Buffalo Line is one of the D&H Trains. Led by U23B 2304 with another UBoat and one of the new 7600 series GP39-2's that the D&H Bought to help move the new business. PA Rte 147 is just above me and slightly behind in this shot looking north. Date is Sept 3 1978

Shot 2 This is the view looking east on the main Line twds downtown Hbg. CR SD40 6315 leads a WB TV11 on it's journey west. The bridge in the background was a pedestrian Walkway over the yard that provided access to the PA State Farm Show Complex located to the left in the shot. The Farm Show was actually accessed off of MacClay St near the shop area in Hbg. The date on this one is October 10 1978. By the time they got around the curve at MacClay St, they were really moving right along at a good clip. This is the area I enjoyed the most.

So thanks for looking. Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 11:50 by ns2557.

Date: 09/02/14 10:15
Re: Some more early CR and D&H
Author: RGDave

Awesome.

~RGDave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds