Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Nostalgia & History > Toto Tuesday: Ghosts from Emporia

Date: 09/02/14 03:06
Toto Tuesday: Ghosts from Emporia
Author: santafe199

There’s not much left in this scene from 29 years ago in Emporia, KS. It is no longer a crew-change point between Eastern & Middle Division train crews. The passenger train shed has long been torn down & the red brick platform has been removed. The Spartan cement platform between mains #1 & #2 has been removed. The signal bridge in the background between Commercial & Constitution streets has been taken out of service & removed. The 5083 may still be around, albeit with a new BNSF number & probably a new coat of paint. But the 5083 is certainly no longer a ‘star of the show’ in mainline train service.

However, there are many things in this scene that have carried over to the present day! Take a look: It’s a safe bet to say that the bazillion gazillions of oxygen molecules in the atmosphere around this old Santa Fe Emporia depot/crew change location are of the same design as they were 29 years ago…

1. AT&SF 5083 on train 1-305-14 at Emporia, KS on April 14, 1985.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/22 22:39 by santafe199.

Date: 09/02/14 03:41
Re: Toto Tuesday: Ghosts from Emporia
Author: PRose

Nice shot with the late spring southern light. Brings back lots of memories. Noticing the little things, i.e. the head brakeman can't
be seen in his usual position as he is probably gathering his grip getting ready to bail off. When did they start running through Emporia?

Roberto
PRose

Date: 09/02/14 03:59

PRose Wrote:
> When did they start running through Emporia?

I was home for Thanksgiving in 1991 and the crew changes were history by that time. I'm sure Dennis can be a little more precise with the date...

Lance

Date: 09/02/14 06:00
Author: ddg

Engineers were first, 9-88. Trainmen about a year or less later. No more crew changes after that.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/02/14 06:14
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice, a pair of my all time favorite locos for power, what else could you want? Maybe three or four ;-)
JB

Date: 09/02/14 07:24
Author: monaddave

Humpy's probably sitting on the south side in his brown F-150 chuffing a camel.
DAF

Date: 09/02/14 08:57

monaddave Wrote:
> Humpy's probably sitting on the south side...

I wish he still was... (r.i.p.)

Date: 09/02/14 09:34
Author: Rathole

Emporia and the surrounding area has always been one of my favorite places to railfan. A stop at Bruff's Steak House is usually a part of any trip there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds