Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Nostalgia & History > A couple for Lone Star

Date: 09/14/14 09:39
A couple for Lone Star
Author: lamta_jay

These were taken by my friend who took the excursion from Exeter to Lone Star back in 1992. I was recently un employed and the $75.00 price tag was, according to my now ex wife "un necessary" to spend, my friend Dave Freitas of Visalia went in my place. Dave owned a bike shop in Visalia called Wilson's Cyclery on West Street downtown Visalia.

After missing this trip and now the rails have been lifted, I will never miss an opportunity like this again.

Here is to you John,,,I mean Lone Star

From Jay who still has a nasty flat spot on my forehead from missing this trip of a lifetime

Oh Well

Jay

Date: 09/14/14 10:26
Re: A couple for Lone Star
Author: mopacrr

Did you happen one of the business car?

Date: 09/14/14 11:41
Author: lamta_jay

Best I got to offer

Jay

Date: 09/15/14 08:30
Author: Lone Star

Wow! These bring back great memories, Jay. Thanks for posting them. When John Bergman originally planned this excursion, it was scheduled to operate from Exeter to Lac Jac (Reedley) and return. As it turns out, Fred Krebs (SJVR Superintendent at the time) offered to run the train all the way to Lone Star from Lac Jac before returning to Exeter. The Ex- Santa Fe Visalia District trackage made for some fast running, as it was in much better condition than the Exeter-Lac Jac section of the ex-SP Exeter Branch. As later events quickly unfolded, there were very few additional excursions run by SJVR and it turned out that this trip was the one and only to operate over the Ex Santa Fe line. Lone Star would see a few more freight operations before the tracks were pulled up, but this was to be the very last passenger train to call there.

John Ford

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds