Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Nostalgia & History > Edmonton Radial Railway

Date: 09/14/14 18:12
Edmonton Radial Railway
Author: eminence_grise

The Edmonton Radial Railway served the city of Edmonton, AB. until the streetcars were replaced by trolleybuses in 1951.

Car 42 is an Edmonton Radial Railway streetcar built by St.Louis in 1912. For many years it served as a cottage at Sylvan Lake AB. until rescued by the Edmonton Radial Railway Society in 1981.

The ERRS is a long established streetcar preservation society with twenty streetcars in various stages of preservation or in operation.

Fort Edmonton Park is a historical village on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton which features a variety of restored commercial buildings and houses from the Edmonton area. The different "neighborhoods" 1880's, 1910 and 1920's are connected by a streetcar line on which the ERRS streetcars operate. The ERRS has a large carbarn on the property ("Strathcona Carbarn") where restoration takes place.

They have a second streetcar operation over the former "High Level" CP railway and highway bridge over the North Saskatchewan River linking Strathcona (South Edmonton) and downtown Edmonton. This line operates in the summer and connects the University, theatre and dining district with downtown Edmonton, the Capitol of Alberta and headquarters for several oil industries. One recent summer, the streetcars carried 29,000 people. A modern carbarn is located on the Strathcona end of the line.

Edmonton Transit System has a collection of historic transit buses at another location in the city.

Car 42 is shown at both ends of the Fort Edmonton line, and the carbarn at Fort Edmonton is also shown in August 2014.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/22 20:12 by eminence_grise.

Date: 09/14/14 19:57
Re: Edmonton Radial Railway
Author: Mudrock

Very nice picture of one I need to still ride.

Chris

Date: 09/15/14 01:36
Author: rschonfelder

Is it true that they have a W class tram from Melbourne?

This looks like a must see visit next time I am in the land of Beaver and Moose.

Rick

Date: 09/15/14 05:56
Author: eminence_grise

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it true that they have a W class tram from
> Melbourne?
>
> This looks like a must see visit next time I am in
> the land of Beaver and Moose.
>
> Rick

Yes, I'm not sure which car barn, Fort Edmonton I think.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds