Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cape Cod & Hyannis 1987

Date: 09/17/14 03:34
Cape Cod & Hyannis 1987
Author: mp51w

1.) Amtrak Cape Codder after arrival at Hyannis, MA July 4, 1987
2.) Cool lounge car on the train to South Braintree
3.) Cape Cod & Hyannis train ready to depart.
Sorry, I was shooting Ektachrome on this particular day.

Date: 09/17/14 03:40
Re: Cape Cod & Hyannis 1987

Here are a few more. I forgot how long this operation lasted?
The lunch counter diner was pretty neat.

Date: 09/17/14 04:05

They had a nice outdoor patio at the depot!
#2 Here is the ticket counter.
#3 Interior shot of a lounge car.

Date: 09/17/14 17:25
Author: kpcmcpkva

Rock screens on the F40 speak of Boston and the New Haven to me.

Date: 09/17/14 18:19
Author: MEKoch

Is the lunch counter diner named Eagle Canon or the last picture of the lounge car??

Date: 09/17/14 19:20
Author: railfan400

If I recall correctly, Eagle CaƱon was the lounge car and I think Cape Cod & Hyannis referred to the lunch counter diner as "world's longest bar car".

Date: 09/17/14 20:26
Author: RuleG

These photos bring back some pleasant memories.

During my younger years, my family would rent a cottage on Cape Code for a few days almost every year for our summer vacation. After become a rail enthusiast, I learned about the New Haven's line on Cape Cod and its passenger service to Hyannis.

One weekend When I lived in Albany, I did a circle trip to ride both Cape Cod passenger trains. I rode a bus to LaGuardia Airport and took another bus to Manhattan (no Amtrak trains were running early enough) so that I could catch Amtrak's Cape Codder train at Penn Station. I rode the Cape Codder to Hyannis. Don't remember too much about the ride except that the bar car served a Cape Codder drink comprised of cranberry juice and vodka which I probably passed on.

If I remember correctly, there was a volleyball court where the turntable used to be at the Hyannis Station.

I boarded the Cape Cod & Hyannis train to Braintree. The highlight was crossing the Cape Cod Canal on the Buzzard's Bay Bridge with the salt air wafting through the open window coaches. It was also cool to ride in vintage passenger cars behind a GP9 painted in a New Haven-style scheme.

After arriving in Braintree, I transferred to the MBTA Red Line for a trip into Cambridge where I found a cheap place to stay overnight. The next day I returned to Albany on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited.

Date: 09/18/14 00:19

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the lunch counter diner named Eagle Canon or
> the last picture of the lounge car??

Here is the lunch counter diner(bar car). Former VIA(CN) car I think The_Chief_Way said. They had college age gals working on there. I remember one said she was going to Smith college...$$$$!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.075 seconds