Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Nostalgia & History > Monday Meets: Some hot-snot in the hole?

Date: 09/29/14 04:27
Monday Meets: Some hot-snot in the hole?
Author: santafe199

or: ‘Lack of respect for a lowly work train…’

“You think you’re so BAD! You snooty-tooty hot-snot of a train! Just because you have 4 big shiny motors. Just because you are toting all of them high falootin’ piggy vans. Just because they let you run fast, you think you’re cock of the walk. Well…… lemme tell you something buster 8011: We’ll teach YOU some respect! We may just be a work train picking up scrap, but there’s a dern good reason you’re in the sid….. HEEYYY!! Wait a minute! WHERE you a-going?? GIT BACK HERE. I was talkin’ to you….”

‘Dang, J. C…… That’s the 3rd train in the last half hour to cruise the siding right on by us without so much as a howdy. No respectful greeting, no nod, no NUTHIN! I’m starting to see a pattern here…’

1. AT&SF 8011 slides gracefully west through the siding at Bazaar, KS on March 3, 1984. Photo taken from the cab of AT&SF 3687 on work train ‘WORK’ E-1 with a fellow snubbed crewman: engineer J. C. ‘Jerry’ McNee.

Thanks for nuthin’!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/22 21:43 by santafe199.

Date: 09/29/14 05:40
Re: Monday Meets: Some hot-snot in the hole?
Author: eljay

what kind of units were the atsf 3900s? thx for info.

Date: 09/29/14 05:45

eljay Wrote:
> what kind of units were the atsf 3900s?

Just a typo. Thanks for catching it...

Lance

Date: 09/29/14 06:32
Author: texchief1

eljay:

The 3900 class is shown in McMillans's books as an Alco/EMD CRSD-20 and that Santa Fe had 3 of them.

Randy Lundgren'
Elgin, TX

Do you still remember that day we met on Curtis Hill. Been a long time.

Date: 09/29/14 07:49
Author: ddg

Lance who do we remember that dressed up like the engineer on the 8011? Can't quite recall that. Could be Leonard Glenn. Too early in the trip to have the brakeman sitting over there.

Date: 09/29/14 08:31

ddg Wrote: > Lance who do we remember...

When I ran the image through Photoshop I thought I could make out a resemblance to Tom Facklam. Maybe???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/14 08:33 by santafe199.

Date: 09/29/14 13:32
Author: monaddave

<<That’s the 3rd train in the last half hour to cruise the siding right on by us without so much as a howdy.>>

Remember Lance, it was an ego thingy. High iron or no iron. Just like stalling for that hot shot that was called and hour behind you.
DAF

Date: 09/29/14 13:44

monaddave Wrote:
> Remember Lance, it was an ego thingy...

Yeah, we sure did work with some "high-falootin" egos. I remember thinking at 114 miles to Wellington, if you wasted more than 10 or so minutes stalling for that hotshot behind you, you were only shooting yourself in the foot. Unless you were stalling away from an Ark City train, then all bets were off. You never really knew if you would double out of Ark City, or just lay there & rot for 24 hours. The going theory was: "If the Russians ever invaded America from the south, we'd all be safe at Ark City. Because if the Santa Fe could NOT get a train by Newkirk, then HOW-the-HELLO could the Russkies ever get by???" (something like that... ;^)

LFG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds