Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Nostalgia & History > Castaic Junction /Santa Paula Branch

Date: 09/29/14 17:11
Castaic Junction /Santa Paula Branch
Author: lamta_jay

The Santa Paula Branch at this location was isolated at this time with a Bridge out west of Castaic Junction and a bridge out in Saugus real close to the Junction with the SP Saugus Line.

#1.....This scene is looking north with the old highway 99 to the right of the tracks. Right above the tracks you can see the highway bridge at Castaic Junction. February 3, 1985 Lee Meyers Slide

#2.....Castaic or Castaic Junction looking west. You can even see the SP MP 444 in the extreme left and there was an industrial spur at this location. February 3, 1985 Lee Meyers Slide

#3.....Castaic Junction on August 26, 1985 with the train used in "Throw Mama From the Train". You can also barely make out the MP 444 to the right of the train. Jay Roberts Ektachrome.

It is funny I took a job in Newhall 10 years later and there was little or nothing left of this line thanks to the nice folks at Newhall Ranch and Land. Locals called them something else.

Thanks for looking and See You Down the Tracks !

Jay

Date: 09/29/14 17:45
Re: Castaic Junction /Santa Paula Branch
Author: px320

Short Line Enterprises operated the Newhall Ranch Movie Train on the segment of the branch between Travel Village on the west and McBean Pkwy on the west. We filmed 100 movies, tv shows, commercials, stills and music videos there between June 1985 and June 1990.

The SW-1 was former Bethlehem Steel, LA #18, ex-CB&Q #9136. Blt EMC c/n 897, 1939.

The two passenger cars were ex- Santa Fe 10-3-2 sleeper Blue Water and ex ACL 11 bedroom car Cooper River.

This pic would be from summer 1985. We added more cars after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/14 17:46 by px320.

Date: 09/29/14 21:12
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Stan,
What happen with the phone booth seen laying there? This is just about when I started working there but I don't ever remember seeing it. Of course, they were still all over the SP right of way then so maybe I just didn't think anything of it.

I remember we did some grading at the west end of the yard (SLE yard) by that dirt crossing and uncovered an old water tower foundation.

Jeff

Date: 09/30/14 07:47
Author: atsf121

Think I remember seeing a train around there in the spring of 1989. We had done our trip down the coast to see the missions and then cutover to I-5 so we could go to my grandparents in Bakersfield. Where did all the equipment go that was there? Don't remember much, but seem to remember yellow passenger cars that reminded me of the UP.

Nathan

Date: 09/30/14 17:56

crackerjackhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stan,
> What happen with the phone booth seen laying
> there? This is just about when I started working
> there but I don't ever remember seeing it. Of
> course, they were still all over the SP right of
> way then so maybe I just didn't think anything of
> it.
>
> I remember we did some grading at the west end
> of the yard (SLE yard) by that dirt crossing and
> uncovered an old water tower foundation.
>
> Jeff

I don't know what happened to the phone booth. NL&F Co. Wiped everything out after we moved. They turned it all back into agriculture for the water rights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 17:57 by px320.

Date: 09/30/14 17:59

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think I remember seeing a train around there in
> the spring of 1989. We had done our trip down the
> coast to see the missions and then cutover to I-5
> so we could go to my grandparents in Bakersfield.
> Where did all the equipment go that was there?
> Don't remember much, but seem to remember yellow
> passenger cars that reminded me of the UP.
>
> Nathan

Most of the equipment was moved to the Fillmore & Western location under the same ownership.

The SW-1 was sold as were a couple of box cars.

We had a yellow UP caboose, but never painted the passenger cars yellow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds