Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > Frisco 1522 steaming through the Metroplex

Date: 09/30/14 09:53
Frisco 1522 steaming through the Metroplex
Author: BNSFDS

Frisco 4-8-2 Steam Locomotive 1522 leads the BNSF Employee Appreciation Special through the Fort Worth area in June, 2001. All footage was dubbed off of a VHS tape so the color quality isn't what we are used to now.

Enjoy

BNSFDS

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/30/14 13:20
Re: Frisco 1522 steaming through the Metroplex
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Those were good times.

Here is 1522 and my '53 5 window Chevy truck "Pokey" near Metro Jct, West Wye

Date: 09/30/14 14:29
Author: Frisco1522

As Archie and the dingbat would be singing "Those were the days". Coming back from Houston to Haslet.
Thank you for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 14:29 by Frisco1522.

Date: 09/30/14 14:37
Author: warrenpweiss

That is so beautiful. If I saw that in person I think I would pass out from being overwhelmed.

Warren

Date: 09/30/14 15:30
Author: tomstp

I followed it a couple of days, especially from Haslet to Metro. Great engine, good sounding sharp exhaust.

Date: 09/30/14 15:47
Author: nycman

I am so disappointed that I never saw or rode behind the 1522. Don, I have often wondered why Frisco placed the air tanks up top as they did. Do you know? Really enjoyed that video.

Date: 09/30/14 15:51
Author: LarryDoyle

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am so disappointed that I never saw or rode
> behind the 1522. Don, I have often wondered why
> Frisco placed the air tanks up top as they did.
> Do you know?

I've wondered about that, too, DM&IR did that to a lot of their engines too. They also put air intakes to pumps topside, probably to reduce intake of ore dust, but why the tanks?

-John

Date: 09/30/14 17:58
Author: Frisco1522

When they ordered the 1515-1519 and the 1520-1529, they were ordered with Walschaerts valve gear and an exhaust steam injector. Apparently the valve gear arrangement and the piping from the injector took up too much room under the running boards, so they moved the main air reservoirs up to the top of the boiler. I kind of think that if they had straight running boards it would seem there was room for them. At any rate, this is how they wound up. They put Chicago T60 injectors on the shortly after going into service. Go figure.
And also take notice that the series was delivered as coal burners. They converted them a year or so alter. When we were in Tulsa with the EAS, I mentioned that to some old timer (Perfect recollection of stuff that never was) and he said "You are mistaken young man this engine never burned coal. Showing him the stoker engine mount holes and telling him about the article in a 1926 employee magazine about 1522's first trip and how much coal and water she used did nothing to convince him. Thank God he walked away then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/14 06:47 by Frisco1522.

Date: 09/30/14 20:41
Author: KskidinTx

It sounds like some of the ones who replied to this thread would have given their eye teeth to have had the opportunity I had. Being a supervisor at Temple, Tx at the time I was instructed to ride the 1522 on its westbound (southbound) trip from Temple to Brenham where my counterpart from Houston took over. A day or two later I went to Brenham for the 1522's return trip. It was a hot June day, at least in south Texas. The engineer/pilot said he could handle it on to Temple so after giving him some instructions I went back to the coaches. Looking back, I should have rode the 1522 to Temple as I haven't had the opportunity to ride a steam engine since. However, I saw that engineer/pilot a few weeks ago and we were reminiscing about the 1522. He stated that it had been so hot up there on the engine that he felt really ill when arriving Temple. Perhaps I did not make the wrong decision.

Mark Cole
Temple, Tx

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds