Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Nostalgia & History > Amtrak on the RF&P

Date: 10/23/14 12:07
Amtrak on the RF&P
Author: rfprr1

I made several trips from NJ to Virginia in the very early 90s to photograph the
RF&P before the CSX take-over. I had to take the good weather with the bad and have
no regrets. After all, a photo under grey skies is better then no photo, especially so looking back.

Here are two shots, 1st a northbound Silver train, 2nd a southbound but not sure what train it was.
Both were taken at Brooke, Va.

rfprr

Date: 10/23/14 12:31
Re: Amtrak on the RF&P
Author: twropr

Nice to see the STAR when it was still a "real train" that had a long enough consist to really need two units.
Andy

Date: 10/23/14 12:49
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice, while I didn't ride that rain, it looks very much like the Amtrak I remember in the 80's and early 90's.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 10/23/14 17:21
Author: AndyBrown

Ahh, my favorite era on Amtrak; F40s with the wide stripes. Great photos both. I wouldn't be surprised if the second train is the Palmetto. Always wanted to ride that one but never got it done.

Andy

Date: 10/23/14 18:41
Author: 3rd_Raton

The second train is most likely the Palmetto No.89 back when it ran to Jacksonville. I believe Amtrak had a contract with the USPS to carry mail to and from Jacksonville .... hence the two MHC's on the head-end.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds