Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > A GP-30 Thursday challenge!

Date: 10/23/14 12:21
A GP-30 Thursday challenge!
Author: santafe199

This morning, while Photoshopping my way through a few slide scans of Uncle Pete's former GP-9B's (in a Paducah back-lot) I suddenly had a thought. (Now THAT'S scary...) I wondered how hard it would be to put a different paint scheme on a given engine, digital image-wise. Maybe this subject has been covered in past TO threads, and if so I beg pardon. This idea is certainly way over any ability I currently have with CS-6, but I have seen some of TO's membership do some pretty cool things with Photoshop (or equivalent) photo-editing tools. So here's my challenge: Can anyone produce a given engine image and completely overlay the paint scheme of a totally different RR? It seems to me a simple roster shot would be the easiest to work with. Surely somebody has a few hours to kill...

While I'm at it, I might as well propose something unique! I remember a conversation I had with a couple other fans in the days before the death of the Rock Island. We all agreed that it would have been cool to see a GP-30 in Rock Island paint. That led to speculation as to which of the Rock's numerous schemes would be best suited for the brawny look of a GP-30. Personally I thought the Red & Black, trimmed w/ white stripes "RF" logo scheme would look really snazzy on a GP-30. But realistically the era would be off by about a decade. So I would settle for either the maroon or red w/ yellow nose & ends scheme with either the large block, all-caps lettering or the smaller, simpler lettering. Just for the sake of this fantasy I'll say the Rock Island had an even 30 (good number) GP-30s and assigned them road numbers 500-529.

Have fun... ;^)

Date: 10/23/14 15:04
Re: A GP-30 Thursday challenge!
Author: BNModeler

I have been doing fantasy paintwork for about 22 years. It started with doing a lot of about 8 Athearn P40's in everything from NYC and Pennsy to NP Mainstreeter, SP Black Widow and so on.
If you can imagine it, it can be done.

Date: 10/23/14 15:54
Author: speederman01

Lance, you should email that suggestion to NS corporate headquarters. I'm sure they would figure something out! Dave

Date: 10/23/14 18:16
Author: highgreengraphics

Presto! 3 different versions (first one red on top of hump) === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 18:20 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 10/23/14 23:10
Author: lwilton

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Presto! 3 different versions (first one red on top
> of hump) === === = === JLH

So what are the tools/techniques/tricks of doing this? I've tried a couple of times, but the results were less than satisfactory.

Date: 10/24/14 13:47
Author: highgreengraphics

Well, these are the real thing, the RI-inspired paint on the A-OK Railroad in Oklahoma, not modified. I thought about Photoshopping off the lettering, but would have no idea how to apply "Rock Island" lettering. So for the technique, guess I would have to say drive to Oklahoma and bring a camera. === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1039 seconds