Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > Up to no good

Date: 10/23/14 13:38
Up to no good
Author: m1bprr

PD Tower

Back in 1955 I had the occasion to meet Bill Burke, Tower operator extraordinaire for the CNJ. Back in 1958 I had my driver’s license for a year, and had wheels! It was a 1951 Chevy coupe. After I got to know Bill, I made many visits to him on the job at PD tower which was located in Port Reading, NJ. Where the Reading Port Reading branch intersected with the CNJ. Perth Amboy branch. PD was a small wooden affair with levers, and somewhat shaky!

Now, Bud Rothaar, Myself, Rich Smith, and Red Corson. Would often visit PD. To spend time with Bill. He was the all knowing MahaRush of that time as far as the railroads were concerned. You have to remember, there weren't any Railpace Newsmagazines back then. Bill always had something of interest about the CNJ. Or other line to share.

Generally we would spend a good part of second trick at PD with Bill on any given Saturday. I still remember the FM Trainmasters flying by westbound with at least 12 cars in tow, Bay Head bound. The tower would sort of rock from the air blast created by the train. We all were convinced the levers, and frame were all that held everything from falling over!

Generally Rich, who was the youngest would be designated Scullery Maid, and be delegated to make a trip over to Bunzy's pizza emporium to procure some eating material for us all. While he was gone, we would be hatching some diabolical plan to have fun at Rich's expense. This amounted to, after receiving the pizza, sending Rich down to my car to get a camera, or whatever, and locking him out while we all gorged our self on the pizza! Eventually we would let him in. Rich was a very righteous guy never cursed. He would be out on the outside staircase platform at the door, in a shrill voice saying "HEY YOU GUYS! LET ME IN!" after hearing this for a while, we folded, and unlocked the door. He would come in and say "THAT WASN'T VERY NICE" I guess you could say Rich Smith was the Ritchie Cunningham from Happy Days, of our group.

After a while, we would be treated to a Reading Coal train from Bridgeport, Pa. On the Reading, Port Reading yard had coal dumpers, coal loaded on barges there to go various places. The coal trains would always be hauled by a trio of Reading Alco RS-3's, which were equipped with Nathan M-3 RT1 airhorns! Neat stuff! Once in a while a local Drill on the CNJ. Would happen by, hauled by a “Morbid Baldwin" as Bill referred to BLW locomotives; these had Leslie A-125's on them which were so poor they sounded like a ruptured duck!

Bill, also cooked up there, he had a hotplate, sort of an early day microwave. Nothing better than being up at PD. On a blustery cold Saturday, watching trains, drinking a cup of Bill's onion soup, with a nice coal fire going in the furnace down stairs.

Guess who was delegated to go out in the cold to get coal for the fire?

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 10/23/14 15:43
Re: Up to no good
Author: Keystone1

And Ed. In 1958, 46th street engineshouse in Philadelphia, was loaded with dead PRR steam from the New York & Long Branch. The Union Transportation Company in New Egypt, N.J., was still using 0-6-0 #5244, plus a LOT of steam was running in Ontario and Quebec!

Date: 10/23/14 16:41
Author: m1bprr

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Ed. In 1958, 46th street engineshouse in
> Philadelphia, was loaded with dead PRR steam from
> the New York & Long Branch. The Union
> Transportation Company in New Egypt, N.J., was
> still using 0-6-0 #5244, plus a LOT of steam was
> running in Ontario and Quebec!

I know Mike, witnessed the end sadly.
Ed K.

Date: 10/23/14 17:20
Author: Keystone1

Great shots Ed. Very, very sad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds