Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where is it??

Date: 10/23/14 17:39
Where is it??
Author: todude

This photo was taken today, so it's not really history, but... That wooden bridge for road traffic is nostalgic, and I'm sure was built back when the fallen flag was operating over this line. There are some clues in this picture that might be helpful, and I will give hints, if needed. Im curious to see what kind of answers i get to begin with.

Steve

Date: 10/23/14 18:08
Re: Where is it??
Author: mns019

Ex Milw Rd main, somewhere W of Summit SD.

Date: 10/23/14 18:18

That was FAST! lol Yes, it is the ex MILW main somewhere West of Summit. Can anyone narrow it down any closer?

Date: 10/23/14 18:28
Author: MMD

Acurail made a model of it.

Malcolm
New Zealand

Date: 10/23/14 18:31

Awesome! I did not know that. It really is a neat old bridge. I took lots of pictures of it, including all the details on the bottom of the bridge deck. All wood. Lots of timbers. The top is black topped tho.

Date: 10/23/14 19:39
Author: boejoe

Interesting that there is more clearance on one side of the rails than the other. Perhaps double tracked at one time?
p.s. darned if I see any clues!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 19:41 by boejoe.

Date: 10/23/14 19:53

Yes, it was double tracked at one time... That was one of the clues. This is the part of the Milwaukee Roads trans-con that was in South Dakota. Someone correct me if I am wrong, But I think the Main was double tracked at one time all the way from Minneapolis to Aberdeen, and perhaps further west.
Steve

Date: 10/23/14 20:05
Author: boejoe

I think I just spotted another clue - the empty beer bottle between the rails! LOL

Date: 10/23/14 21:03
Author: bristol

East of Bristol about two miles?

Date: 10/23/14 21:12

Right on the money!

Date: 10/24/14 11:52
Author: bristol

This is the Butler Bridge off of US Highway 12. Its somewhere around MP 665 to 668 I could be off a mile or two. I believe this bridge is one those bridges that causes the BNSF clearance issues today.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds