Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Nostalgia & History > F Unit Fri...ATSF train #74 Torrey Pines, CA.Feb.-1971

Date: 10/24/14 10:29
F Unit Fri...ATSF train #74 Torrey Pines, CA.Feb.-1971
Author: the_expediter

ATSF 43C and B unit lead a 3 car "San Diegan" (Hey, they'll always be "San Diegans to me!) along the Pacific about a minute south of the Del Mar station. Shot from the old hwy 101 bridge- which underwent a major earthquake re-fit for last sev. years...Believe this was shot with Ektachrome, what do you think? The man sitting on the bluff to the left can't decide if he likes the F-3s or F-7s better...or ponders the fate of the PA's...YEAH, RIGHT!!- Steve in beautiful Grossmont, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/14 10:31 by the_expediter.

Date: 10/24/14 11:05
Re: F Unit Fri...ATSF train #74 Torrey Pines, CA.Feb.-1
Author: ceedy

Great picture...

In 1965 I worked for PT&T(way before the Judge Green breakup of the Bell System)in southern Orange County, California. In the northern part of San Clemente there was a cross connection point called a b-box mounted on a telephone poll about 20 ft above the ground right next to the Santa Fe tracks. On several occasions during the summer I was on that box when one of the "San Diegans" passed. Unfortunately, I took no pictures...

Dave Spier

Date: 10/24/14 12:23
Re: F Unit Fri...ATSF train #74 Torrey Pines, CA.Feb.-1
Author: RodneyZona

Santa Fe's LA based operating crews handled the San Diegan between LA and San Diego.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds