Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Nostalgia & History > Taking A Ride on Monon

Date: 10/29/14 18:24
Taking A Ride on Monon
Author: BNSF-6432

Here's some more images saved out of the Frank Tribbey collection. Do to boredom I popped in a disc of images my father was able to scan and edit from some slides that were nearing tragedy (which was what happened to very many unfortunately) and came across some interesting stuff
Here's a couple from the Monon section as it seems Tribbey was travelling somewhere down the Monon (I'm not quite familiar with Monon at all so maybe someone can help on locations)

1) Making a passenger train meet somewhere in rural Illinois/Indiana?

2) A pair of block signals from the rear car

3) Not sure what town we're in, but seemed to be a common spot to railfan Monon for Mr. Tribbey
All dates/locations unknown

BNSF-6432
PQM

Date: 10/29/14 19:05
Re: Taking A Ride on Monon
Author: krm152

Thank you for posting these wonderful slides!
ALLEN
Did some further research primarily by looking through the book “Monon The Hoosier Line” by Gary W. and Stephen F. Dolzall.
Photos were obviously made after passenger F3s were renumbered to the 201 – 210 series. I cannot find the date this was done. However, the latest photo in this book of an F3 with its original number is on Page 114. This is a photo with #84A taken at Hammond on March 11, 1962. This means the photos you posted were taken after this date.
On the other hand, the Monon changed the schedule of their passenger operation on October 25, 1964 so that the round trip could be covered with one set of equipment. Therefore, there was no longer a meet of northbound and southbound trains. This means the photos you posted were taken before this date.
So we have narrowed the time frame to a date between March 11, 1962 and October 24, 1964. A span of about 2 ½ years.
I believe the northbound and southbound trains were supposed to meet around Crawfordsville or nearby. This would of course have varied somewhat on a daily basis. Can’t offer any clues about the other two locations.
ALLEN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/14 20:13 by krm152.

Date: 10/29/14 19:08
Author: MMD

I think these photos were in Classic Trains a couple of issues ago, but in B&W.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 10/29/14 19:22
Author: P

Wow, that second shot is very nice. Someone familiar with the route might be able to ID that location. Notice how the blade has not yet dropped by the time the rear of the train is passing the signal! Must have been moving at a really brisk pace.

If you have more, please post.

Date: 10/30/14 14:36
Author: NCA1022

The photographer might have cought the semaphore blade in mid-drop from vertical to horizontal.

Nice.

- Norm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds