Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Nostalgia & History > Consolidated Rail Corp meets Consolidated Freightways

Date: 11/23/14 19:21
Consolidated Rail Corp meets Consolidated Freightways
Author: tq-07fan

It's a not so great shot, shot from a moving car on the freeway. Like so many other twenty-plus year old pictures it's still fun to look at. Not only is Consolidated Rail Corporation gone but here we have a Conrail train taken with a nice look at a Consolidated Freightways terminal in the foreground. Consolidated Freightways went bankrupt in 2002 and ceased to exist in 2006. I believe this was in Columbus Ohio and taken from I-70 or I-270 sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 19:23 by tq-07fan.

Date: 11/24/14 14:50
Re: Consolidated Rail Corp meets Consolidated Freightwa
Author: coach

I remember when this happened in the SF Bay Area (the closing of CF). The drivers & dockworkers showed at the yard, gate was locked, with a simple note on the gate stating that "CF was closed and workers were no longer needed." No warning, no time left--just gone. Not good.

What's odd is that a trucking company came back with a logo very similar to CF's logo, but all the drivers were "subcontractors" and overall it was worse. Always made me wonder if it was the same management with a new name...??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds