Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Railroad "history" at Station Square in Pittsburgh

Date: 11/23/14 19:38
Railroad "history" at Station Square in Pittsburgh
Author: RuleG

I have mixed feelings about this sign which I saw in the Freight House Shops at Station Square this afternoon. On the one hand, it is an improvement over the slogan "Less locomotion, more commotion" which was previously on the Station Square website. On the other hand, no information is provided about the locomotive, the locomotive's owner, Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, Railroad or anything about the history of the complex. Likewise, there is very little else within the shops/entertainment/business school complex about the railroad.

The Grand Concourse Restaurant located in the former passenger terminal next to the freight house has on display more P & LE photographs, but little information about the railroad and its significance for the Pittsburgh Region.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy seeing the sign and appreciate what the sign makers were trying to do. For those who want to see the locomotive in greater detail, a cropped image is attached showing the photograph.

According to roster in "Pittsburgh and Lake Erie R.R." by Harold H. McLean, 9147 is an 0-6-0 built in 1906 by Alco-Pittsburgh. It was scrapped in 1929.

Date: 11/23/14 23:24
Re: Railroad "history" at Station Square in Pittsburgh
Author: MartyBernard

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The Grand Concourse Restaurant located in the
> former passenger terminal next to the freight
> house has on display more P & LE photographs, but
> little information about the railroad and its
> significance for the Pittsburgh Region.
>

I'm sure you can fix that problem.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds