Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Nostalgia & History > biggest yard on the MoPac?

Date: 11/24/14 17:33
biggest yard on the MoPac?
Author: EastKSRailfan

Was Neff yard (which had 2 humps) in Kansas City the largest Missouri Pacific yard, or was there another bigger one, perhaps in St. Louis or Texas or N. Little Rock?

Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 11/24/14 17:37
Re: biggest yard on the MoPac?
Author: cdub

NLR was the largest. I know it was #2 behind North Platte after the merger.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/14 18:41
Author: GCL13

MoPac had hump yards at Fort Worth (Centennial Yard), Kansas City, and North Little Rock.

Fort Worth had 44 bowl tracks and North Little Rock had 64 bowl tracks. Kansas City had two humps but I believe it was smaller than North Little Rock.

Date: 11/24/14 19:42
Author: imrl

I don't know how many tracks the old west bowl at Neff had but the east bowl has 41. Judging by satellite imagery, the current layout has enough room for maybe 30 tracks. I don't know how much the rest of the yard has changed since the west hump was removed.

Date: 11/25/14 08:10
Author: mopacrr

The Mopac's Neff Yard was constructed in 1958, and I believe its the smallest of the three. Centennial Yard was rebuilt in 1964-65 time period, in fact ;Dick Davidson was Trainmaster at the time and was credited with keeping the yard fluid at the time. I would say North Little Rock would have been the largest of the three.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0265 seconds