Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1st major Sierra snow this wknd-Looking back at 2010

Date: 11/24/14 22:15
1st major Sierra snow this wknd-Looking back at 2010
Author: weather

Its hard to believe that just four winters ago, record snowfall in the Sierra filled the lakes and reservoirs of California brim full from the spring run-off. Its March 28th, 2010, and Union Pacifics Overland Route has been closed for four days. It has taken almost two days, sometimes making only a mile an hour as UNion Pacific struggles with the ex-SP rotary set. The following three images were taken at Soda Springs crossing as UP tries to reopen #1 track, 31/2 miles west of fabled Donner Pass. The last three winters in the Sierra were the driest on record and just barley added together, exceed the nearly 680" that fell during the 2010-11 season. if this were to be another dry year, California couldl suffer significant losses in the agricultural industry. However, this rainy season is staring out better than the two previous record dry years. Snow begins late Friday night in the High Sierra with snow continuing on and off thru Monday. Some of the forecasts models show as much as two to four feet of new snow in the higher elevations of the Northern Sierra. UP will undoubtedly run the first flangers of the season. Stay tuned! Meteorologist Mike Pechner, Text and photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/14 22:25 by weather.

Date: 11/24/14 23:27
Re: 1st major Sierra snow this wknd-Looking back at 201
Author: MartyBernard

Let's hope the UP has to do lot's of plowing this winter.

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/25/14 02:39
Author: Fizzboy7

Great post! It seems CA just goes from one extreme to the other these days when it comes to weather. I really do hope we get some good pack up there this season. This past year was the worst I've seen.

Date: 11/25/14 03:11
Author: wharfrat

There is a great You Tube video of this plowing operation.

Date: 11/25/14 09:04
Author: atsf121

Here's hoping they have to run the rotaries again this winter. I should have gone out in 2010 to watch, maybe I can the next time.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0844 seconds